Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Hornady lock n load system

WS ^^^ I got you a couple of pieces of flint for your Hawkins. You should be GTG now.
    5G Motorola Razr

I will admit the photo does look like the "crimp" is a little lacking, but I assure you it's there.

Just curious, how much do you guys crimp your bullets?

The primers are slightly below flush.. i think they are ok.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Keep in mind that the 9mm headspaces on the case mouth.If you put to much crimp you have some real problems.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    I don't have anything as newfangled as a Hawkins.

Well, there is the .75 cal. Tower Musket, made at the Tower of London in 1842.
    Last edited by WinterSoldier; July 24th, 2020 at 04:51 PM.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    I chamfer the case mouth on all of my brass which gives it more of a transition...
    Last edited by WinterSoldier; July 24th, 2020 at 04:49 PM.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Graduate
    I put less emphasis on oal, as that varies by bullet style, and weight. I put more of an emphasis on it passing the plunk test, where it drops in the pistol chamber. As Johnny said 9 mm and 45 indexes on the case mouth. A taper crimp on auto loaders, roll crimp on revolvers that index off case rim, and neck tension for rifle is what I use.
    Last edited by mapper; December 12th, 2020 at 11:27 AM.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy27012 View Post
    I will admit the photo does look like the "crimp" is a little lacking, but I assure you it's there.

Just curious, how much do you guys crimp your bullets?

The primers are slightly below flush.. i think they are ok.
    I go through quite a few bullets getting it just right. I crimp it down until it will drop into a chamber gauge smoothly. I then pull the bullet to make sure the bullet isn’t pinched at all. I’m looking for a smooth scratch pattern all the way around the bullet with no tapering in the jacketing/plating and no “waist” where the case mouth was. Next, I push the bullet against the bench to make sure it won’t set back in the case under a moderate amount of pressure. I’m not too worried about the bullet walking out of the case under recoil in a semi-auto. That’s mostly a revolver problem.

Speaking of, what bullet puller do you guys recommend?

Hornady. I’ve tried to break it, and it won’t. There’s probably slightly better but more expensive options out there like the new Frankford wall mounted puller. Just load in small batches to test, then you won’t need to pull hundreds at a time if it’s a bad load. You can pull hundreds with the Hornady though - I did it one afternoon lol.

Channellock

Seriously; Remove the die from ur single stage press. Place cartridge in case holder and raise it up through hole where the die screws in. Grasp bullet and reverse direction of press lever. let the handle and tip of chanellocks rest on side of press. I've pulled a few like this through the years.
    Last edited by Cattle/Horses; July 26th, 2020 at 01:23 PM.
    5G Motorola Razr