Signal 0
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Hornady lock n load system

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    I guess maybe not shooting less lethal rounds such as .223 has helped me keep out of trouble... because I can't recall ever shearing the rim off of a case. I generally stick to calibers .30 and larger, though I did buy dies and collect brass for .223 once upon a time. In a world in which I can choose any caliber I want, I just can't think of any reason to choose THAT one.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    I did buy dies and collect brass for .223 once upon a time.
    What you want barter for it all? Tupelo honey, Cane syrup or Corn?
    5G Motorola Razr

Quote Originally Posted by FLT View Post
    Bwest , If it doesn’t come out pretty easy let me know and I’ll remove it for you . I have the tools to remove it with out damage to the die. I won’t charge you anything.
    Thanks, haven't really tried anything substantial yet, but I'll let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy27012 View Post
    Bringing this thread back up. I finally bit the bullet and bought a single stage lee press. It should arrive Wednesday or Thursday. I'm still interested in 223, 9 and 45 to start off with. But asking for advice on which to do first?

Now keep in mind, I have never reloaded before. I do have a digital scale and calipers. So is there anything else I need to get started other than dies, powder and primers?
    -case prep tool. Lyman is pretty good
    -tumbler for case cleaning
    -some sort of priming system- Lee Ram prime works fine
    -Hornady bullet puller
    -trimming system- Lyman hand trimmer does well for cheap
    -powder measure

That is the minimum I would add to what you have already. 9 and 45 are time consuming on single stage, but you can make really accurate rounds. Don’t trim pistol brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    What you want barter for it all? Tupelo honey, Cane syrup or Corn?
    I bought moulds and (SHOCKER) sizer (lead bullets in a 5.6mm are dicey and counter to the velocity requirements of the round but I decided to make some anyway), new jacketed .224 bullets, powder... you name it. Then along came research for the book I'm trying to write about Georgia Rangers in the American Revolution, buying and working on a derelict house in N GA, etc., and I just ain't got to loading for 5.56mm yet, but if I live long enough, one of these days I will. I have more undone projects than any average dozen guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy27012 View Post
    Bringing this thread back up. I finally bit the bullet and bought a single stage lee press. It should arrive Wednesday or Thursday. I'm still interested in 223, 9 and 45 to start off with. But asking for advice on which to do first?

Now keep in mind, I have never reloaded before. I do have a digital scale and calipers. So is there anything else I need to get started other than dies, powder and primers?
    You do have a loading manual right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
    You do have a loading manual right?
    Not at this time. I will be picking one up when I get some dies. Going to try to set everything up before I actually get powder primers etc... I know me, I would just start banging out rounds without doing much prep.

Yeah, I usually recommend Lyman's or Richard Lee's manuals, or both, unless you want to just specifically stuck with one high-priced brand of bullets. AND, DO not just look up one load. Read the general explanatory part of the manual first. Reading it twice is better than reading it once.

Also, you can find *some* loads on the powder company web sites, for using powders of that specific company... BUT... you really still need to read a manual or two, several times, first.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Most of the data is online. ..