Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Hornady lock n load system

Quote Originally Posted by Arcwelder View Post
    Get a self tapping deck screw …………………………. Cheaper than messing up the die trying to beat it out.

You know RCBS makes that in a kit? A stuck case remover they call it I believe.
    5G Motorola Razr

Graduate
    yep. Mine costs about $1.50 if you already have the self tapping deck screw.

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Get a self tapping deck screw (1/4 inch thread) a washer the top does not go through, a short piece of 1/2 metal conduit pipe, allen or star bit and a drill for the tap (3/16).
    When (not if) you get a case stuck in your die, drill the primer, screw the self tapping deck screw in through the washer and conduit so that you can pull the brass out.
    or not, but this is what I do. Cheaper than messing up the die trying to beat it out.
    But probably not as cheap as lubing right in the first place, methinks.
    Last edited by WinterSoldier; July 1st, 2020 at 03:42 AM.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    You know RCBS makes that in a kit? A stuck case remover they call it I believe.
    The only stuck case removers I've ever seen were intended to clear gun chambers... I've got those in several calibers but have never needed to use one... at least not one I had. I spent years getting the stuck case of an old round-nosed steel jacketed 7.92mm round WITH THE BULLET STILL IN THE NECK OF THE CARTRIDGE out of a Gewehr 88 Commission Rifle once upon a time. The solution came when a neighbor down the street threw out some kind of shoe rack intended to hang from a closet door. It was made from about 30 cal. mild steel rods... i.e. just a little smaller than bore diameter. I cut a piece a few inches longer than the barrel of the Gewehr, slightly beveled the end that would contact the bullet, and drove bullet and case fragment out as pretty as you please.with a 4 Lb. sledge.

BTW: For your edification, all German and many Eastern European cartridges are made "Stück"... because "Stück", a word of many meanings, in the instance of ammunition, means more or less "item" or "round". So... if you buy 100 rounds you have bought 100 Stück.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    But probably not as cheap as lubing right in the first place, methinks.
    Lube does not prevent all cases from getting stuck. It usually prevents stuck cases, but sometimes one will.

Lube does not prevent all cases from getting stuck. It usually prevents stuck cases, but sometimes one will.
    I currently have a stuck case in my .223 die, I need to try the self-tapping screw method. It was well lubed, but the shellholder sheared off the rim when I tried to pull down the ram.

Quote Originally Posted by BWest View Post
    I currently have a stuck case in my .223 die, I need to try the self-tapping screw method. It was well lubed, but the shellholder sheared off the rim when I tried to pull down the ram.
    When mine get stuck it is usually on the internal sizing pin. I use lee dies, just loosen the pin and drive it out. Then use a dremel to weaken the case where it is tight, and put it in a vice and pull it out. Like most things in life, lots of lube helps.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by FLT View Post
    Most die manufacturers will remove a stuck case free of charge if you return it to them. They usually polish and check it over as well.
    Lee charges like 14 bucks or something. I don't remember what it is.

yeah I took the lock nut(?) out so I have the die with the case in it and the decapping pin/expander stuck in the case....can I just drive the case out using the pin thats stuck in it?