Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squib load!

Squib load!

Experienced a squib for the first time the other day. Never had this happen in probably close to 2000 of my handloaded .38s I have put through this revolver.

Was shooting 125 grain plated bullets over Accurate #2. I had loaded up 250 of these and was down to the last 50.

Bang Bang Bang pop, ejected the cases and unburnt powder came out with them. I think that case may have had a little water in it left from cleaning when I charged the case. The power of just the primer going off must have been enough to send the bullet into the barrel just beyond the forcing cone.

Embarrassing, and proof it pays to pay attention when loading and shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graduate
    Hey, that revolver looks familiar!

Sounds like you diagnosed it correctly. A primer does have enough power to launch a bullet into the barrel and then stick it. The unburnt powder says you didn't fail to load it up, so dampness is about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would cause it. Water likes to stay in the primer cup and the flash hole. I usually don't use wet-cleaned brass for at least a week after tumbling it and then it stays spread out on a wire rack to dry. My preference is a two-week drying time in a good environment to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Hey, that revolver looks familiar!

Sounds like you diagnosed it correctly. A primer does have enough power to launch a bullet into the barrel and then stick it. The unburnt powder says you didn't fail to load it up, so dampness is about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would cause it. Water likes to stay in the primer cup and the flash hole. I usually don't use wet-cleaned brass for at least a week after tumbling it and then it stays spread out on a wire rack to dry. My preference is a two-week drying time in a good environment to be sure.
    Yeah, I either spread the brass on a towel and let set for a few days, or bake in my salvation army powder-coating toaster oven. I guess this one just made it past my check.

Scary stuff. Glad you were paying attention.
    THE GREATER PART OF LIBERTY IS MINDING YOUR OWN FUCKIN BUSINESS.

Quote Originally Posted by e.money83 View Post
    Scary stuff. Glad you were paying attention.
    yep, me too. I had shot some primed cases with foam earplugs in them in this revolver before, and the squib sounded just like that. Just the pop of the primer.

One more trigger pull could’ve been really bad. Glad you were paying attention as well. I’m also glad you posted this I never thought about moisture/water sticking around in the primer pocket. I always use dry media but good info for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
    One more trigger pull could’ve been really bad. Glad you were paying attention as well. I’m also glad you posted this I never thought about moisture/water sticking around in the primer pocket. I always use dry media but good info for the future.
    yeah, I have found shaking a coffee can full of brass, water, dawn, and lemi-shine to be adequate for cleaning, and have never had this happen in the few thousand rounds I have loaded and shot. But i'll be sure to pay closer attention from now on for sure

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Now you know why full auto may not always be so much "fun"...
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

I wonder if a squib would cycle most machine guns. I mean, if it's gas operated ass gets past the port obviously, or blowback sub guns that more or less work like a pistol, but if it stops before the port it should just halt the process, right?
    THE GREATER PART OF LIBERTY IS MINDING YOUR OWN FUCKIN BUSINESS.

Quote Originally Posted by e.money83 View Post
    I wonder if a squib would cycle most machine guns. I mean, if it's gas operated ass gets past the port obviously, or blowback sub guns that more or less work like a pistol, but if it stops before the port it should just halt the process, right?
    "gas operated ass"-?