Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squib load!

Apparently I type ass more than "and" and I got the autocorrect.
    If the bullet gets past the port before getting stuck and it's gas operated I can see a machine gun cycling, but if it stops short it is just going to halt the system until you recharge and resume fire and kb the thing, right?
    THE GREATER PART OF LIBERTY IS MINDING YOUR OWN FUCKIN BUSINESS.

Very few MG's are gas operated. Eats where it shits is bad juju in a FA weapon. Obviously the AR pattern is one big exception. However I would think you are right, I wouldn't think most FA's would fire on a squib like that, not enough power to cycle.

However I don't know that most operators would pick it up as a squib, and would just think its a FTE/FTF or something and recycle and pull the trigger.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by polebarn View Post
    "gas operated ass"-?
    ya, that was me. Sorry.
    None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license.
    --John Milton

Only digging in on the position of the truth – yes, I defend guns because guns are useful for killing criminals and tyrants – is going to be successful. Only the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Very few MG's are gas operated. Eats where it shits is bad juju in a FA weapon. Obviously the AR pattern is one big exception. However I would think you are right, I wouldn't think most FA's would fire on a squib like that, not enough power to cycle.

However I don't know that most operators would pick it up as a squib, and would just think its a FTE/FTF or something and recycle and pull the trigger.
    Piston is still gas operated. Gas has to reach the piston to cycle. But I'd think you're right about the operator just running it after a squib being highly likely.
    THE GREATER PART OF LIBERTY IS MINDING YOUR OWN FUCKIN BUSINESS.

lets not forget that squibs aren't all that common with factory ammo that's mostly free from human error

in that same vein, I wonder how MG owners deal with cheap surplus ammo that may be of questionable quality, I guess hangfires aren't catastrophic, but I have seen firsthand some Egyptian surplus 9mm that tended to stick bullets with their tips sticking out of the pistol's barrel.

A hangfire on an open bolt gun with a fast cyclic rate would be exciting if nothing else. Especially if you get some bolt bounce that causes the hung round to start ejection.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post

PERZAKLY!

And, I saw a M-16A1 blow all to hell and gone over a squib round in 1971, however, I have no idea if it cycled itself or if it was hand-cycled. The result even from that tiny round was quite impressive, though. The shooter was near the center of about a platoon sized firing line and I saw shit flying through the air both left and right virtually all across the line. Miracuously, it seemed to me, nobody was even slightly injured, including the shooter, though as I recall he was sent off to the post hospital... probably to have his diapers changed.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

“Pop no kick” is taught for a reason.
    I’m an engineer. To save us both time, let’s just assume I’m not wrong.

Lift with your back

I talk to myself because, at times, I require advice from an expert.

Only a fool courts the anger of a patient man.

We are all just one PBR away from being white trash and in trouble.

Graduate
    Smith and Ruger revolvers are very strong. I seem to remember an old ad from Smith where they would stack bullets in the barrel and blow them out with a full power round to demonstrate the strength of the barrel. With the rise of "everyone can build an AR" and fly-by-night ammo "manufacturers," I've actually seen several come-aparts on the range on mostly AR's but I have seen one lever action go. No one has ever been injured, though. Looks like a parts fountain but it seems the strong parts of the system deflect the debris away from the shooter.

I also found this:

https://gizmodo.com/what-happens-whe...you-1657411557