Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy 20 or 12 GA SHOTGUN for home defense

Freshman
    Feedback Score

Red face Want to buy 20 or 12 GA SHOTGUN for home defense

Short(er) Story:
    Unintentionally moved into a small neighborhood with houses in very close proximity and high crime rate after being told by fam friend it was a safe place. I am a single father of a 6 and 9 year old (around 310 days a year) and really want to purchase a 20 or 12 GA pump-action shotgun for home safety. I was given the link to this forum after completing my background check today at Kevin's Sporting Goods while paying the $8 BG check fee to a very sympathetic cashier when she asked my kids which shotgun their daddy was looking at and my daughter said "one of the cheaper ones. We can't buy a nice one yet.".... it was pretty embarrassing, but I'm hoping there's a reason it happened this way. Looking to spend about $275 tops but will negotiate.

Longe(er) Story:
    I am a single father with a 6 year old boy and 9 year old girl. I have them about 310 days a year. We just moved into a Tallahassee neighborhood who, at he recommendation of a family friend, was supposed to be pretty safe. So, either in the last 4 months since we moved in, there has been a major uptick in break-ins, or the information I got was incorrect. I have handled shotguns and rifles my entire life (I am 32). Ideally I would love to get a pistol, but I feel much more comfortable with a shotgun... plus I know it would be much more effective in the only situation I ever hope I need it in.

Additionally, I think I would prefer a 20GA so that once my daughter, and eventually son, are old enough, I could teach them to properly safely handle, load, unload, and discharge a firearm.

All that said, I am really just looking for something simple. I work A LOT and I don't sleep well anymore because of this neighborhood.
    i wish I had the money to just move, but based on 8 months more of a lease I just can't afford it.

So- now that you've probably read a story much longer than you wanted to, I am in search of a fully functioning 20 or 12 gauge pump-action shotgun, and don't want to spend over $275. I am willing to negotiate.

I went to Kevin's today to purchase a 20GA pump but after the process of background check and paying the fee for it, I was given the name of this forum after telling this story and explaining my price range to a very nice cashier(I suppose having my kids with me tugged at her heart strings lol).

Anyways, thanks for reading. And if you have something you are willing to part with in this price range for what I personally consider a good cause, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again so much for reading(if you made it all the way through)! Happy New Year!

Feedback Score
    Buy a Mossberg Maverick 88 from Academy Sports. Will run you $200 and will serve you well.

Junior
    Feedback Score
    CWP required for sales in Leon County.
    $10 charge for out of county transfers.

Junior
    Feedback Score
    Also, I put together a remington 870 youth 20ga with a Choate 3 round extension, 4 round side saddle, and hiviz sight. Fit my wife, 5'5" well. I think I have about $300-$350 in it.
    CWP required for sales in Leon County.
    $10 charge for out of county transfers.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd have to second the Maverick 88 if you have to buy new. Used will pop up. If you choose to look in Pawn shops I would stay with a Remington or Mossberg. If something is wrong or goes wrong parts are plentiful.

I can't help much on the 20ga vs 12ga, but my 2cents, and its free. They have reduced recoil 12ga that you can use for smaller shooters. 12ga is going to have the most effective home defense ammo.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just make sure any FTF transaction follows the convoluted Leon County laws OR go out of county. ESPECIALLY with someone you don't know extremely well.
    Love and a .45--one will kill you one will keep you alive.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    Just make sure any FTF transaction follows the FUCKED UP Leon County laws OR go out of county. ESPECIALLY with someone you don't know extremely well.
    FIFY
    The 2nd exists to insure the viability of the 1st; without the 2nd, the 1st is rendered moot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    don't go to kevin's

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Go to AR15.com
    Look under equipment exchange. Under the shotgun category there are several, including an 870 for $200. It's located outside of Jacksonville. Or it can be shipped for $225.

Feedback Score
    Name:  15465510335177143029974020534548.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  58.9 KB

Rock island armory

Pm for phone
    The Earth is flat.
    The big bang and evolution is a lie.
    Tack is 5'9" tall.