Likes Likes:  118
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Collector's Item Beretta 92F

"In the thundering madness of the locomotive breath "
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jelly on hushpuppies sounds like some kind'a sick damnyankee trick like ruining perfectly good grits by adding milk and sugar.

Once I found a guava tree growing "wild" far out in the 'Glades, but not in the sawgrass part. It was on a hammock covered by heavy shrubbery but it had been there long enough to rise over the shrubs and create its own clear area underneath. Just a few of the last guavas of the year were still hanging on, a bit overripe. They were the big yellow ones, with red "meat". And they were full of little white, wriggling, insect larvae. I ate them anyway. They tasted good. Little white wriggling insect larvae add protein.
    The peaceable part of mankind will be continually overrun by the vile and abandoned while they neglect the means of self-defense. The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world, as well as property.
    (Thomas Paine, "Thoughts on Defensive War" - 1775)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    WS You sure it wasn't jack fruit?

Description kinda sounds like it. Several types of Jack fruit used to grow wild in the western glades around Ochopee and Everglades City.
    Love and a .45--one will kill you one will keep you alive.

Sophomore
    Feedback Score
    I think I’d rather eat jelly with my hushpuppies than maggots with my fruit. But that’s just me.

Feedback Score
    Grandmother had a guava tree in her patio in the back yard. She had one of those old Florida homes built in the late 20's (talkin Palm Beach County now), wth all sorts of citrus and fruit trees in the back yard. She would make Guava jelly. I always liked it. Then I went to Miami for a short stint and discovered Guava pastries in the Cuban markets. Now that is a fine thing if you are into sweets.

Was there something for sale in this thread? Some guava pastries perhaps?

Feedback Score
    1800$.????????
    Most CcGF members have a hard time parting with a twenty, for any thing that doesn't carry a surgeon generals warning or a vagina.
    The Earth is flat.
    The big bang and evolution is a lie.
    Tack is 5'9" tall.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I was stupid rich, I’d only pay that kind of money for a beretta if it had two barrels and fired 12 gauge ammo. Sad to see you fucking up your own for sale thread with a shitty attitude.
    We have the technology, but not the sobriety.
    I talk to myself because, at times, I require advice from an expert.
    We are all just one PBR away from being white trash and in trouble.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    If I was stupid rich, I’d only pay that kind of money for a beretta if it had two barrels and fired 12 gauge ammo. Sad to see you fucking up your own for sale thread with a shitty attitude.
    it might be worth what he's asking, but not being a dick goes a long way

"In the thundering madness of the locomotive breath "
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    WS You sure it wasn't jack fruit?

Description kinda sounds like it. Several types of Jack fruit used to grow wild in the western glades around Ochopee and Everglades City.
    Yeah. Damn sure.

I was all over the Glades that Summer... near Homestead, the Felda oil field, Janes, Inc., Big Cypress, Chokoloskee, Everglades City, somewhere north of Fort Myers, and for quite awhile somewhere way out Alligator Alley, which was nearly brand new then. I have no idea today where all I went then, and had little idea then. I just got in a crew cab pickup truck, transferred to a swamp buggy, then eventually woke up about time to go to work. Sometimes we worked from Ft. Myers and sometimes from Homestead. While in Homestead we got per diem. Either place, I got paid for sleeping on long rides to and from the job site. What a way to make a living. We got to blow stuff up, too. Paid to sleep and paid to blow things up. Yeah man. Good times. Probably better'n in the Army because nobody was being trained and paid to kill us. All we had to worry about was vicious wild critters. And, the pay, with overtime, was way more than the Army. The most Uncle Sugar ever paid me including combat pay and pay for being an NCO, was $114 per damn month. The only good thing about THAT was that there was nowhere to spend it out in the jungle... so I mail ordered a new car before I left Vietnam.

To the best of my knowledge and recollection, I've never even seen much less eaten a jack fruit, anywhere, much less in the 'Glades.

But I've eaten guavas since pretty much forever (but not since the late-1960s which is when I left South Florida for good)... a lot of them were red Cattley guavas, which are small and red skinned, with white meat... and a much tastier taste than some big yellow guavas, though the flavor of the big yellow ones can vary quite a bit.

Eating insect larvae is no big deal though. Once, in the Panama Canal Zone, I ate a monkey's hand. "Tastes like chicken"... Then, I got a distinct feeling that I was shunned for awhile: (Hey... That's the guy who ate the monkey's hand. Lets get out of here!)

Nobody else wanted to do it, so... what the hell?!!!

Sometimes that kind of "volunteering" can have unforeseen ramifications. In A,I.T. a senior sergeant gave us a long boring lecture on proximity fused mortar rounds. I listened to, heard, and completely understood what he said about the damn things being subject to premature detonation several different ways. But I was still rather surprised when, as soon as I volunteered to hang one, he had everyone else move back about 50 feet and handed me a steel pot and a flack jacket that I had to put on. All of that kind of sucked the joy out of the experience. There was the subtle satisfaction, however, of setting off a munition that cost the gub'mint several thousand dollars, 'Merican money. An' that was back when several thousand dollars could buy you a new car.
    Last edited by WinterSoldier; December 18th, 2018 at 04:58 AM.
    The peaceable part of mankind will be continually overrun by the vile and abandoned while they neglect the means of self-defense. The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world, as well as property.
    (Thomas Paine, "Thoughts on Defensive War" - 1775)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^^^ Who got to eat the rest of the monkey - the good parts? You must of been pretty low on the totem pole.
    Love and a .45--one will kill you one will keep you alive.

Feedback Score
    WinterSoldier..."Eating insect larvae is no big deal though. Once, in the Panama Canal Zone, I ate a monkey's hand. "Tastes like chicken"... Then, I got a distinct feeling that I was shunned for awhile: (Hey... That's the guy who ate the monkey's hand. Lets get out of here!)" S

WS, Guess you did the Jungle Course in Panama? I had an Uncle who lived in Panama City for years with his wife and 3 boys. He was civilian, but knew a lot of military officers. We used to take trips into the Darién and go for picnics along the Pacific beaches. Some were black as in a pumice type quality. Weird for a kid who grew up on South Florida Beaches. We would visit sights in the Jungle and find Army gear from training events I suppose? I found a utility cap with a company badge, of sorts, on it. Have to find that to recall what group?? I believe it had a two tone blue field with a vertical sword and MAYBE some laurel wreath sort of thing?? We would find blank empties around on the road at times. Fun times.