Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carcano

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Carcano

In search of a Carcano (preferably a non-carbine in 6.5) for my WW2 infantry rifle collection

Freshman
    Feedback Score
    PM sent.

"In the thundering madness of the locomotive breath "
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought this from a guy in Alaska so the postage was high... but what you need is a WWI (NOT II) "Last Ditch" Italian Vetterli Carcano. Yep. An iron gun, converted from BP to shoot high powered Carcano rounds. (I wouldn't advise shooting it.) It's definitely a long gun.

Alternatively, Tallahassee Gun & Pawn had a WWI long-Carcano for the longest time. They had no idea what it was really, and it was way-overpriced. Maybe they still have it...

As best I recall, ALL of the WWII Carcanos were some version of short, and with absolutely fixed sights to boot. I like the Cavalry Carbine with the built-in bayonet best. But I have some Moschettos, maybe some in 6.5 and some in 7.5... I'm not sure... I would have to pore over the records. I definitely have at least 3 converted to 8mm Mauser. The Germans did some for last-ditch inside Germany, but these ain't them. The Israelis did some for their War of Independence. But these ain't them. I can't be certain WHERE these were converted but supposedly a bunch were maybe run through sweatshops in Egypt, and that seems like as good a place as any for these to be from... Guaranteed dirt cheap. Maybe $60 for an 8mm. Have to find all of the parts, first. I'm pretty sure I disassembled them all maybe 15 years ago and stashed the parts hither, thither, and yon. Why? I have no idea. Ask Jo-Jo.
    The peaceable part of mankind will be continually overrun by the vile and abandoned while they neglect the means of self-defense. The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world, as well as property.
    (Thomas Paine, "Thoughts on Defensive War" - 1775)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BTW: For those with a poor grasp of history. The Italianos were on "our side" throughout WWI, and so were the Japs. Italy didn't go rogue till after the Anarchist Mussolini took over between the wars. And in WWI "we" were the Entente. "They" were the Allies. "We" cheat because winners always cheat, and "we" re-labeled "them" the "Central Powers"... but that's thoroughly unhistorical and a retroactive construction from post-WWII.

(Last post before #2,000.)
    The peaceable part of mankind will be continually overrun by the vile and abandoned while they neglect the means of self-defense. The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world, as well as property.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^^^ Well 12b is on 6999, his next post will be 7000. Maybe y'all can go get breakfast or something together.

Congratulations on making it to 2000.
    Love and a .45--one will kill you one will keep you alive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    I bought this from a guy in Alaska so the postage was high... but what you need is a WWI (NOT II) "Last Ditch" Italian Vetterli Carcano. Yep. An iron gun, converted from BP to shoot high powered Carcano rounds. (I wouldn't advise shooting it.) It's definitely a long gun.

Alternatively, Tallahassee Gun & Pawn had a WWI long-Carcano for the longest time. They had no idea what it was really, and it was way-overpriced. Maybe they still have it...

As best I recall, ALL of the WWII Carcanos were some version of short, and with absolutely fixed sights to boot. I like the Cavalry Carbine with the built-in bayonet best. But I have some Moschettos, maybe some in 6.5 and some in 7.5... I'm not sure... I would have to pore over the records. I definitely have at least 3 converted to 8mm Mauser. The Germans did some for last-ditch inside Germany, but these ain't them. The Israelis did some for their War of Independence. But these ain't them. I can't be certain WHERE these were converted but supposedly a bunch were maybe run through sweatshops in Egypt, and that seems like as good a place as any for these to be from... Guaranteed dirt cheap. Maybe $60 for an 8mm. Have to find all of the parts, first. I'm pretty sure I disassembled them all maybe 15 years ago and stashed the parts hither, thither, and yon. Why? I have no idea. Ask Jo-Jo.
    Yeah I have one in 8mm already, a beat up m38 T.S. (with the fixed sights) that I assume was converted for Egypt. I like it a lot, though all I shoot in it is a cast bullet over a little fast pistol powder.

Now I want one in better shape that is a better representation of a ww2 Carcano to fill that hole in my collection. leaning towards a m38 (non-carbine, though it is a short rifle), m1891 or m1941.

Let me know if you want to get rid of any

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I've got it and can FIND it, I'll sell it. I think what you want is a Fucil, though, and I'm pretty sure both that I don't have one and that I've never run across one for sale... except that one at TG&P, which was a M91 Infantry Rifle, I believe, i.e. Fucil, but unlike the M38s, the M91s had adjustable rear sights. I'm also pretty sure that ALL of the M38s were 7.3551mm, NOT 6.552mm like the earlier Carcanos. However, I haven't dealt with Carcanos in a long time and am going to have to refresh my memory. I need to sweep my chimney and clear away accumulations of books and such from my woodstove now, but will search my inventory tonight and see what I come up with. Best I recall offhand (which is often WRONG), mine are ALL carbines, but the Moschetta Truppe Speciale is the most rifle-like of them...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    If I've got it and can FIND it, I'll sell it. I think what you want is a Fucil, though, and I'm pretty sure both that I don't have one and that I've never run across one for sale... except that one at TG&P, which was a M91 Infantry Rifle, I believe, i.e. Fucil, but unlike the M38s, the M91s had adjustable rear sights. I'm also pretty sure that ALL of the M38s were 7.3551mm, NOT 6.552mm like the earlier Carcanos. However, I haven't dealt with Carcanos in a long time and am going to have to refresh my memory. I need to sweep my chimney and clear away accumulations of books and such from my woodstove now, but will search my inventory tonight and see what I come up with. Best I recall offhand (which is often WRONG), mine are ALL carbines, but the Moschetta Truppe Speciale is the most rifle-like of them...
    from what I understand, some models that were originally in 7.35, began to be made in 6.5 because of supply chain issues

this is what I found to be informative:

http://surplused.com/terminology-a-q...-rifle-models/

not surprised at Tallahassee gun and pawn having an overpriced one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure that the description on that web page that included both Moschetto and Cavellero for one gun, is wrong... but I'm pretty sure some of my half-remembered memory is wrong too. I didn't get the chimney swept but I did fix what I messed up on my kerosene heater when I changed the wick yesterday (I put the piezoelectric igniter in upside down... which DID NOT WORK), and assembled a bedframe from parts, so I did get SOMETHING done today, even something that will keep me warm in this chilly snap. Now, if I can stay awake long enough I'll look for Carcanos…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    O.K. I've looked at the inventory (finding the actual gun(s) will be much harder), and I've got Carcanos at an extreme range of costs to me, for about $35 to almost $500. Most are carbines or Truppe Speciales. BUT, I do have a couple of Fucile Cortos (short rifles), one each in 6.5mm and 7.35mm. Before I go tearing through "things" looking for them let me be sure what you are looking for, first. As I understand it, you want a M38 in 6.5mm and a Fucile (frankly, if I recall correctly, the Fucile Cortos weren't much longer than the carbines). I had more or less forgotten, but I DO have one M1891 Fucile (a fully-long gun), with adjustable sights... but it would cost you dearly, as Carcanos go. That's the one that I paid up around $500 for... (Maybe that pawn shop Carcano wasn't overpriced after all.)

I don't know the condition till I find it and look at it, but I'm thinking $85 for the 6.5mm Fucile Corto... unless it a total beater, then a bit less. The 7.35mm one would be rather more. I know that it's NOT a beater because of who I bought it from. Besides, typically, it seems that most of the 7.35 guns weren't used much but the 6.5mm guns often were.

Does that sound like what you are looking for? If yes, I'll start digging for the gun.