Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Beware of Pistol Brass

CCGF Head of Ambushes

Beware of Pistol Brass

Fellows if you are reloading pistol brass pay close attention to this Brand"G.F.L." I do not know were they came from but I think I picked them upafter shooting my .45s.they were probably mixed in with some of my regular brass.I have 9 pieces of this brass with the prime holes off center enough that it could effect the ignion of the powder charge resulting in a squib load. Just Beware off this.First time I have seen this in a very long time.this new once fired brass.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Fiocchi.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Fellows if you are reloading pistol brass pay close attention to this Brand"G.F.L." I do not know were they came from but I think I picked them upafter shooting my .45s.they were probably mixed in with some of my regular brass.I have 9 pieces of this brass with the prime holes off center enough that it could effect the ignion of the powder charge resulting in a squib load. Just Beware off this.First time I have seen this in a very long time.this new once fired brass.
    If I remember correctly the GFL brass also has fairly tight primer pockets, at least in .38 special

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    IMHO off center and/or irregular flash holes are not capable of causing squib ignition. There is a world full of brass however, and I see no reason to ever re-use such brass of any head stamp. Such brass could possibly affect ignition to an extent that could cause a wider range of muzzle velocities with concomitant vertical stringing. Even that is just my opinion. Sometimes lopsided things are just as good as non-lopsided things. But I just don't see any reason to use them if better things are readily available, and with used pistol brass... so far... availability is no problem. Ask me again after the 2020 election.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Graduate
    I occasionally get a few GFL's and Fiocchi pieces in the mix. Never really observed a problem, but my sample size isn't all that big.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    All nine pieces were off center,that is 100%.They are shit caned.After 75 yrs I have seen guns blown to hell by such crap,do not take a chance on this.I do not give a skinny rats ass what any one says.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Y'all should have seen the picture that my son in Az sent a week ago of the man who mixed up his rifle ammo when he had two different rifles at the range.Seems he fired a wrong caliber bullet in the rifle he was shooting at the time.It blew the whole bottom an sides of the rifle out.He had scrapnell all over his face and chest,his right eye was hanging down his face also.Becarefull out there,it was awfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Y'all should have seen the picture that my son in Az sent a week ago of the man who mixed up his rifle ammo when he had two different rifles at the range.Seems he fired a wrong caliber bullet in the rifle he was shooting at the time.It blew the whole bottom an sides of the rifle out.He had scrapnell all over his face and chest,his right eye was hanging down his face also.Becarefull out there,it was awfull.
    That's more dangerous than a nutty Chink throwing loaded 1911s.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    You are right polebarn