Signal 0
Likes Likes:  69
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pro-gun rally to be held in Tallahassee

Dildo Smuggler
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    Can I, yes.

Will I waste my time doing so for you, no.
    The reason why I ask is because I don't believe that be posted anything n this thread and was wondering why anyone would make comment about me where I made none...

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    By the way, not that I'm in any way advocating anything at all about it, but there absolutely is an "official manual" on the subject of "civil disobedience". It has gone under various titles but it is now 169 years in print and is best known under a title not supplied by its author... ta-DAH... (are you sure you are ready...) Civil Disobedience. I'm referring of course to an essay written by Henry David Thoreau and first published in 1849.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, and THERE ARE RULES FOR CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE.

However, I'm only talking about Civil Disobedience at all, to make it absolutely abundantly clear that I DID NOT bring that subject up, nor have I ever advocated civil DISobedience... only civil OBEDIENCE.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    Umm... I have a great excuse why I am not, nor will I ever be a member of the NRA. I don't want to pay them to lobby for gun control, help with gun control legislation, or call for the BATF to implement more anti-gun regulations. Unfortunately, I did donate to them before I realized they are only about the money and not our 2A rights.

I was also under the impression that the NRA fought for gun rights until my father (worked in the Florida legislature) told me about the NRA lobbying for gun control during the Bush administration. Since then I've done my own research and found that they have had a hand in most of the anti-2A legislation in the past 40-50 years.
    Without some solid proof, that sounds like some tin-foil hat stuff right there. C/H looks like he did some good research there and that would take the other group right out of the running. Lobbyists are necessary, even if some of them are smarmy at times, and I'm glad we have some really good ones working with the NRA.

Smarmy.

Nice word
    I had to Google it.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    Several years ago I pulled up and looked at both the Gun Owners of America's and The National Rifle Association's 990 Tax Returns. Being they are Non Profits, their returns are publicly available. At the time it appeared the GREAT majority of contributions to GOA were used administratively (Salaries, benefits, 401Ks, travel, conferences, etc) and a small percentage to lobbying type expenses. NRA had about a 20/80 breakout of Admin/Stated Function expenses.

Also, Tim Macy that started the GOA, still maintains the control and is the CEO/Sec./Tre. and always will - per the bylaws. A pretty slick setup. I'm jealous.

Go pull the current 990s and see if anything has changed.
    Well, I'd take the GOA not lobbying over the NRA lobby against the second amendment.

Wayne LaPierre's salary is more than the total revenue of the GOA. The executive expenses of the GOA are $200,000-300,000. Assuming all of that is Tim's salary alone, it's still only about 15-20% of LaPierre's salary. I wouldn't compare an organization with 2-3 million in total revenue to one with 200-350 million based on those expenses alone. I do think the NRA is kind of fighting for us right now (partly because of the backlash), but only because they are raking in the money. As soon as things die down, they will be pushing for gun control so they can ask for money to fight it. It's all about the money to them, not our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by polebarn View Post
    Bush Sr. and Reagan fucked us over as well.I'm still a Republican because the opposite is untenable and not an option.
    Yes they did. I don't know why so many on the right praise Reagan so much. Sure he was good for the economy (except for expanding the drug war that's cost us billions) but terrible for gun rights.

If only we could get Republicans that didn't vote like Democrats.

Reagan also took a military worn down from 10 years of war and then decimated by the Carter administration and rebuilt it in to the most powerful military in the world.
    He also ended Carter's policy of bended knee diplomacy

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    Yes they did. I don't know why so many on the right praise Reagan so much. Sure he was good for the economy (except for expanding the drug war that's cost us billions) but terrible for gun rights.

If only we could get Republicans that didn't vote like Democrats.
    The folks on the right who praise Reagan lived through Ford and Carter; that’s why.
    I’m an engineer. To save us both time, let’s just assume I’m not wrong.

Lift with your back

I talk to myself because, at times, I require advice from an expert.

Only a fool courts the anger of a patient man.

We are all just one PBR away from being white trash and in trouble.

^^^^ My student loans of that era were 8% interest, about half of conventional loans of the time (16-20%). OR there abouts
    5G Motorola Razr

Sub 15% on a 30 year fixed then was a killer deal back then. My first piece of property was 13.5% with 50% down and a cosigner with stellar credit.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture