Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  69
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pro-gun rally to be held in Tallahassee

^^^^^

Several years ago I pulled up and looked at both the Gun Owners of America's and The National Rifle Association's 990 Tax Returns. Being they are Non Profits, their returns are publicly available. At the time it appeared the GREAT majority of contributions to GOA were used administratively (Salaries, benefits, 401Ks, travel, conferences, etc) and a small percentage to lobbying type expenses. NRA had about a 20/80 breakout of Admin/Stated Function expenses.

Also, Tim Macy that started the GOA, still maintains the control and is the CEO/Sec./Tre. and always will - per the bylaws. A pretty slick setup. I'm jealous.

Go pull the current 990s and see if anything has changed.
    5G Motorola Razr

So, who's going to the rally on Saturday?

I am
    "It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it"

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    Several years ago I pulled up and looked at both the Gun Owners of America's and The National Rifle Association's 990 Tax Returns. Being they are Non Profits, their returns are publicly available. At the time it appeared the GREAT majority of contributions to GOA were used administratively (Salaries, benefits, 401Ks, travel, conferences, etc) and a small percentage to lobbying type expenses. NRA had about a 20/80 breakout of Admin/Stated Function expenses.

Also, Tim Macy that started the GOA, still maintains the control and is the CEO/Sec./Tre. and always will - per the bylaws. A pretty slick setup. I'm jealous.

Go pull the current 990s and see if anything has changed.
    I can't testify to that... nor can I shake the apathy of an individual who thinks all lobbyists are evil so he should sit home on his hands, and who also believes that the NRA is a gun control organization. In fact, someone saying that kind of idiot crap leaves me with having to make a decision as to whether he's ignorant, an idiot, or... an anti-gun sheep troll trying to distract our target recognition and acquisition. The NRA isn't perfect, but is OUR organization. The NRA lobbies because its members, who vote for its board of directors, want it to, and because that is the ONLY way to get anything done on a consistent basis at a political level. Mental telepathy doesn't work with politicians. You have to call, write, show up at their door, and every single day COMPETE for their limited amount of time and attention. That's why both business corporations and member controlled grass-roots organizations like the NRA hire and pay lobbyists to do that for them, BUT it's only effective if it is accompanied by calls, cards and letters, showing up to vote... and, in case you are just too dense to follow this... at this point we either start showing up in demonstrations like the leftists put on, or they are going to absolutely bury gun rights and take our guns while they are at it. They are finally, after years of failure, "on a roll"... and WE have to STOP THEM!

Other than fundraise and make loud useless noises, I don't know what GOA does. It appears to me to be the Bill Proctor of the 2A crowd (except... perish the thought... EVEN WORSE), and, mostly a way to suck in money from people deceived by their rhetoric. I haven't heard anything from GOA on this in maybe 4 or 5 years now, but from its creation till then, one of its big-mouthed propaganda initiatives was all about the poor veterans getting their gun rights taken away by the VA. The GOA kept at that so long that even Obama couldn't help but notice and found a fairly stupid and legalistic technical way to actually take away the gun rights of a few veterans, most of whom were completely mentally incompetent and had no use for guns anyway. The original "issue" raised and loudly trumpeted by GOA for many years NEVER EXISTED and still doesn't. It was just their way of exploiting those to whom an offer to "help the poor, suffering veterans" made them want to dip into their pocket and give some of what was there to GOA. In other words, IT WAS FRAUD!
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by freakfly23 View Post
    So, who's going to the rally on Saturday?
    If I can get my taxes done before then, I will.

If I can't get my taxes done by then I will, anyway, but I won't stay long.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    If I can get my taxes done before then, I will.

If I can't get my taxes done by then I will, anyway, but I won't stay long.
    I thought when you reached 100 years old you didn't have to do a tax return any more? WTH?
    5G Motorola Razr

Graduate
    I'll be out of town, unfortunately. There's a big match this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I'll be out of town, unfortunately. There's a big match this weekend.
    Kick some ass, Blaster.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Does anyone offhand know what the "rules" are (or where to find them) for demonstrating at the capitol?