Likes Likes:  53
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Upgrade

Forum Upgrade

I've been looking into upgrading the forum to vBulletin 5. I've gained enough in advertising to purchase some of the plugins we use which will assist in the transition of some of the data to the upgraded version.

What that means is that your rep should stay the same and you should still retain your like/dislike history. The only real issue is with the feedback in the classifieds, but it's used so infrequently that losing that data will not really be felt. Most of the work has been research at this point. Once I have everything sorted out, I'll run some upgrade tests on the dev system and work out the kinks and make sure the upgrade is as smooth as can be.

I've put off the upgrade for a while as there was no real benefit to doing it. With some of the issues that have cropped up in the text editor and the aging codebase in vB4, it's getting to the point that it's necessary to upgrade. There is also no feature development being done on vB4: there are only bug and security fixes. vB5 should take more advantage of modern browsers.

The forum WILL look different The way you use the forum will change. It may be scary and uncomfortable, but I'm sure you guys will be able to work through it.

I've been doing this in the little free time I've had as I've got a couple of high-effort projects going on at work, so it's not going to happen super fast. By the time I get all my ducks in a row, I should be able to give a useful time estimate on how long the forum will be unavailable during the upgrade. That means I'll also try to give y'all a 24-72 hour heads up on the outage.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Name:  43a7f9a566e549e2c9b639bd65131227.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  13.8 KB

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

You build it and they will come...

The issues on the forum today have been my fault. I've run into snags on the upgrade in the dev environment that's affected the primary site.

I'm not gonna say it's not gonna happen again, because that's just how these things go sometimes.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    I'm sure I speak for everyone, we appreciate you being geeky and keeping the doors open.

Nice work, slack ass.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

I'm just glad to know it wasn't me fucking up.....for a change

Thanks Jonas, we appreciate all the work you do, I mean we're worth it and all, but we do still appreciate it.

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

I'm still working on it, but I think I'm going to have to submit a bug report to vBulletin. The upgrade totally fucks everything up and I've not been able to sort where the issue is.

Thanks man.
    5G Motorola Razr