Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking converted brass

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador

Marking converted brass

How does everyone mark there converted brass? I'd really like a better method than using a sharpie.

Graduate
    I have heard about sharpies, layout fluid,and ink pads, but I haven't heard about anything permanent.
    Some cases are diffrent enough to be readily distinguished from the parent cases, others not so much.

A 300 blk is not a issue, as it is diffrent, a 6x45 is as it is not that diffrent from the 223 parent case.
    222 from 223, not that big a deal as neck is longer, mongoose has a diffrent shoulder angle, etc..
    But..cleaning the brass will remove markings and dyes over time.

I want to run 200 pieces 270 into 25-06, and yeah I can look and tell the difference, but I still run a good bit of 270. And it sure seems like a way to screw up fairly easy. I thought about chucking them in a drill and doing a score line or something thing similar. But figured maybe there was a better way. Unless I just use one head stamp for my converted...

Graduate
    I'd dedicate 1 headstamp to converted/reformed brass, and sharpie mark them.
    I did think about resizing 308 to 7-08, but decided while I could reform/resize, i would get once fired cases instead.
    Now a 7 valkrie that looks obviously diffrent, is a non issue for me. But no choice there in headstamped brass, it has to be formed from other cases.

I also saw where someone scored a line on the base of the case through the original headstamp.

I do sharpies on the bottom. Its easy to do an entire box at a time, and it stays.

I've tried using ink pad die, gets your fingers stained, doesn't really show up well.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

12B What about a center punch or small cold chisel and mark out the 270, as if to say "Pay attention this could be anything!" - '06, 270, 25-06, 220 swift, etc
    5G Motorola Razr

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    12B What about a center punch or small cold chisel and mark out the 270, as if to say "Pay attention this could be anything!" - '06, 270, 25-06, 220 swift, etc
    I thought about taking a Drexel and putting a line through the caliber, but figured there may be a better way. An older fella was telling me he used a bluing solution on his converted brass that turned them an off color. Ever heard d of that?
    Last edited by 12bhunting; August 21st, 2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Bluing not glueing

Graduate
    Found this as well,
    bluing compound, turns brass black
    Someone else mentioned vinegar
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=544785