Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDPA in Tallahassee

Little River in Valdosta, GA runs an IDPA when the river does not flood the ranges. That has been the case for the past few months. I made it up there this morning. Today was their "Mega Match" with 10 stages for $20 AND I was done in three hours. They had the Valdosta State University AFROTC cadets doing the target pasting and tear down.
    Lee Turner, the Match Director, was very friendly and more importantly to me, very organized. Looks like since I can't count on Captial City IDPA I may be calling Valdosta the closest IDPA.
    Down Zero out of Gulf Breeze also runs a solid 6 stage $20 match on the first Sunday of the month in Holt, FL - Southern Tactical Range. New range, almost all red clay and not a blade of grass anywhere, so avoid wearing white. I need not say that to most of you as only the fashion illiterate would dare to do so before Easter.
    There is a price that will get it sold now, a price that will get it sold eventually, and a price that just lets everybody know you own one.

Graduate
    What is generally the round count per stage?

The round count has to be no greater than the lowest capacity shooter category with a few to spare so that typically means about 18 counted hits per stage to allow for a make up or two. As a CCP class shooter I can start with 9 and carry no more than two more magazines of 8 during a stage. So if I can't get it done with 25, it doesn't get done.
    There is a price that will get it sold now, a price that will get it sold eventually, and a price that just lets everybody know you own one.

Graduate
    I imagine reloading mags on the clock would ruin a score!

IDPA UPDATE: No, I am still not committed to taking over the Capital City IDPA club but I have a sponsor for the Range Officer program with IDPA so I will be able to run a match once that is done. I had to be a member for a year before I could start the process.

This weekend Little River Sportsman Association has a unique MEGA match with the opportunity to shoot the same stage twice to figure out your best method. More of a logistics exercise comparing flat footed reloads to mag exchanges and left to right verses right to left. Still just $20 and there is a short classifier if you need it and you can register twice and shoot two different firearms if you want. Practiscore has the link under LRSA.

The opportunity here is that the stages are very short so the movement is limited and the round count a bit lower. If you have been tinkering with the idea, tomorrow is a decent day to kick it off. Yes, there is a rain out potential.