Signal 0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: reloading components available locally?

reloading components available locally?

Been reloading for a few months now, but have only bought powder from academy (which only carries Hodgon), Besides Academy and DSH, where else locally is powder available? I can't justify reloading if I have to pay the hazardous material handling fees when ordering from online.

Graduate
    Dsh,kevins,academy,guns and gold,tallahassee indoor range, are the only local places, I have seen some shooters world powder at no shoe as well.
    Natchez has $20 hazmat fees, but really, as much as you don't really want to hear it, powder valley is the best place, BUT you need to buy enough to offset the hazmat fees.

Of the above listed local places, they are about in order from most supplies to least.
    Otherwise, gun shows when they come to town, ga arms and north ga reloading.

Local projectiles are dsh, kevins and academy, and I have seen some pistol bullets at tall indoor at times,otherwise, it is the brown truck, he knows where everyone lives.
    Last edited by mapper; July 15th, 2017 at 11:38 PM.

Graduate
    Did you see this in the buy/sell/trade section?
    https://forum.capitalcitygunforum.co...ng-garage-sale

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Talon has some of the new stuff imported,good buy .Check it out mapper
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Thanks mapper!

Graduate
    Thanks for the info johnny, have you used any powderwise for pistol 9/38/45?
    I still have some bullseye that was around before man set foot on the moon.
    It still works fine other than being dirty and a little smoky.
    Still a better powder than fertilizer though.
    3.8 gr pushes a 200 gr 45 acp at 725 fps, and the powder was free to me.
    Last edited by mapper; July 16th, 2017 at 12:41 PM.

Graduate
    Bullseye last for ever I'm still using some I got more than 40 years ago. The fps is still the same as it was at the beginning .
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Graduate
    I have no doubt in that FLT, dad had some hercules bullseye, and a pair of phelps semi progressive presses (clone of a star press)
    For 45 he was casting 200 swc's, the press had a fixed powder measure marked 3.8 BE. So I loaded up 5 of each 200 gr cast with 3.8 of hercules bullseye and 3.8 alliant bullseye, the older stuff was more consistient than the newer and had less deviation. It seemed a little faster as well, the volume between old and new was diffrent though, so the comparison was with weighed charges.

I'm loading 3.2 gr with a 158 swc in 38, and 4.0 gr with a 124 gr cast in 9 mm, and 4.0 gr with a 200 gr cast in 45 acp.
    It has a long shelf life, that's certain.

If I had to buy powder, id probally choose something that burned a little cleaner, but I'm using this untill I run out, and I was DAMN glad to have it when you could not find pistol powder.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    yep I still have some old stuff left also,some I bought in the 60's. I have not tried any of that powder yet.I will when I finish off the powder I have in the hopper.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Graduate
    I saw the shooters world branded powders by lovex (chechloskavia) at talon today, $23 to $25 lb if I remember, they also had some primers there as well.

Anyone know if DSH carries vitavouri powders?
    Or is that a powder valley thing pretty much?
    I know it is higher priced than the other powders per lb.
    $25/lb in a 8 lb keg + ship and hazmat fees..
    Last edited by mapper; July 30th, 2017 at 11:17 PM.