Signal 0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subsonic 9mm

Graduate

Subsonic 9mm

Does anyone have a quiet load that they would share? I've played with a few and the quietest I've come up with is 2.9 grains of 700X and a Sierra 115 grain hollow point loaded in WW cases with a WW small pistol primer. I'm getting 1020 fps with this load and its noticeably quieter than any of the factory 147 grain loads I've tried. This is in a 16 inch carbine barrel . The only problem as far as I can tell is that 700X is little dirtier than I like. The fact that 9 MM carbines are blow back actions doesn't help with this either.
    Last edited by FLT; July 9th, 2017 at 04:10 PM.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Wouldn't a heavier projectile be more advantageous?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Graduate
    It would have more energy with out a doubt. I'm looking for quiet and accurate, my area is pretty settled but I still have pigs and other vermon tearing up the lawn. Late at night is when they show up, I don't want wake any one up and have them upset so the quieter the better.

Would .45 not be easier for this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Graduate
    The bigger the bore the harder it is to keep quiet. That and 200 plus grains hitting a pig sounds like you hit a wood fence with a base ball bat. My 45 set up is a lot louder than than the 9mm I'm using . All of them are pretty loud in the early morning hours. There's not much back ground noise at that time of the night.

These are unsuppressed, correct?

Graduate
    No one loads subsonic 9mm for a carbine? Oh well I guess I'll stick with 700X.

Have you tried 158gr Fiocchi?

Graduate
    Yes its the quietest factory round I've found. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I haven't reloaded for many, many years and currently use Freedom Munition's "HUSH" line in my suppressed 9mm SBR.

This article may be of some help .... http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/reloading-heavy-bullets-in-9mm-luger/
    "It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it"