Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Winchester 572 ball powder at DSH

Freshman

Winchester 572 ball powder at DSH

I just picked up a pound from DSH Firearms. I load 147gr 9mm plated cartridges and I hope this will a good power for me. A full 9mm shell holds 10.5 gr of powder and I can only estimate, but I think my loads will be about 4gr. So a double charge will be obvious and still not pour over the shell. I'll should be doing some loading next week and will see how it goes.

Freshman
    Well I did some reloading. Hodgdon gives a 147gr bullet a max of 4.1gr. I didn't listen. Don't try this but with my Glock 26, 3.42" barrel, 147mg plated bullet and a COL of 1.15, I loaded 4.2gr for an average fps of 891. 4.4gr gave me 896 average and 4.6 gave me an average of 952. The 4.6gr load with the average of 952 had a high fps of 982. I'm staying away from 4.6gr. The jump from 4.4 to 4.6 was also 56fps. I'll work my way down, looking for the most accurate load. I like the way it pours too.

Does it feed well? That always seems to be the measuring stick for pistols.
    ------ For the ordinary person, everything is either a blessing or a curse. For the warrior, there are only challenges.--------

------Boat ramps and gun ranges can be some of the best places to see the depth of human stupidity------

------ "It doesn't matter.......it is AK......" AKOUL4774------

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_McNasty View Post
    Does it feed well? That always seems to be the measuring stick for pistols.
    Well that and "Did it blow up?"

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Graduate
    the chrono has earned its purchase price by telling you where the max charge is for that lot of powder by the velocity spike
    Something not noticable just by looking at primers,or ejection.
    Past the 4.4 gr the powder burn is not behaving linear,and is a pressure sign in that lot of powder.

If I was looking for more velocity, I would use a diffrent powder.

Chronos are good tools.

But with another lot of powder it may be diffrent. somewhere im thinking that 5% variations are not uncommon from lot to lot of powder.

But velocity and peak pressure are not equal, I saw a similar thread on a diffrent forum.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=586473
    Last edited by mapper; May 15th, 2017 at 07:07 AM.

Freshman
    I found H6 flakes leaking out of my Lee powder measure. HP-38 was much better and 572 seems even better. They're like fatter HP-38 powder. Flattened ball ammo.