Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Different Guns

Cleaning Different Guns

Hello All,

Is there anywhere or anyone who teaches a class on proper cleaning of different guns?

I have looked through youtube videos which is the first thing people tell me when I ask these questions.
    This rookie though would like to sit down and take the time to learn from someone who is experienced and can teach the different parts of the guns.

I own two handguns, one rifle and one shotgun.

Thanks.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Maybe contact a local gunsmith and pay him to show you? Honestly you tube mixed with a little Google should be thorough enough though for your needs.

Agreed. Just make sure it's a reputable smith.

I enjoy cleaning firearms, I'm just not as up to snuff as some of the others on this forum. If you can't find anyone, hit me up. I'll do the best I can to help you out.

Graduate
    The hardest part is getting the proper tools the first time. While it is true any bargain basement "Gun Cleaning Kit" with a few plastic jags, undersized rods, and polyester patches can get the job done, quality stuff makes the job faster and a bit easier. If I can find it, I have a list I created a few years ago with the stuff I use, where I got it, and how much it cost circa 2012.

While I'm looking for that list, I will see if I can dig up a thread I started about "How clean is clean?"

What specific rifle and shotgun are you running?

I'm at Talon a few times a week. Give me some notice if you can meet me there and I will run you through some basics and show you my "travel kit."

Graduate
    https://forum.capitalcitygunforum.co...2483-How-Clean?

Re-reading that thread reminded me of something. Be sure to buy enough bore brushes, because they wear out faster than you might think. A new brush cuts faster and better, and they wear out quick. I only use a brush 5-8 times and toss it out, they are cheap compared to the time it takes to clean with a worn-out brush.

Graduate
    Item Vendor Est Price

Dental pick set Harbor Freight $4.00
    Tweezer set Harbor Freight $6.00
    Cotton balls Supermarket $4.00
    Cleaning rod (x2), pistol* Pro-Shot Products $32.00
    Cleaning rod, short rifle Pro-Shot Products $22.00
    Spear tip jag .22-6mm Pro-Shot Products $4.00
    Slotted tip jag .22-.45 Pro-Shot Products $4.00
    Spear tip jag .40 Pro-Shot Products $4.00
    Slotted tip patch holder .22-.45 Pro-Shot Products $2.50
    Rifle length .223 bronze wire brush Pro-Shot Products $2.50
    Pistol length 10mm/.40 bronze wire brush Pro-Shot Products $2.50
    5.56/.223 AR Chamber brush Pro-Shot Products $5.00
    Action/Chamber cleaning kit Pro-Shot Products $20.00
    .38-.45 Caliber Flannel patches Pro-Shot Products $7.00
    .22-.270 Caliber Flannel patches Pro-Shot Products $6.00
    Double-end nylon gun brush Pro-Shot Products $3.50
    Double-end steel gun brush** Pro-Shot Products $3.50
    Bronze gun brush (like a metal toothbrush) Pro-Shot Products $3.50
    0000 steel wool** Hardware store/Wal-Mart $4.00
    Break Free CLP Gun Store/Wal-Mart $10.00
    Break Free LP*** Gun Store/Wal-Mart $10.00
    White cotton cloths (or old t-shirts) Hardware store/Wal-Mart $8.00

Total (all prices approximate and from 2/2012) $168.00

*Only one pistol rod is actually required. The second pistol rod is for convenience so time is not spent unscrewing the jag to put the brush on. Price indicated is for two rods.
    **If you choose to add this to your kit, be very careful what it gets used on. The steel brush/wool should not be used on non-steel surfaces (of which there are many on our weapons) because of the damage they can cause. There are exceptions, but caution must be used.
    ***Break Free LP is a lubricant designed specifically for fully automatic weapons and will say so on the bottle. It has no carbon solvent in it and is a different product than standard Break Free we are all used to. Both will be needed.

This kit could be replicated for less money by buying products in kit form or using lesser quality vendors (Pro-Shot makes great stuff, but it is costly).

Other things to consider:
    Bore brushes should only be used a few times before being replaced. They wear out quickly.
    A chamber brush is an absolute necessity for the AR platform, as is an appropriate rod to turn it with.
    A single piece cleaning rod is better than a segmented one.
    The handle of the cleaning rod should turn freely to allow the brush to follow the rifling.
    Holding a cotton ball in a pair of large tweezers can generate a lot of scrubbing force and put that force in a specific place.

Graduate
    That's the original list. Instead of Break Free LP, I started using RIG +P grease as my lubricant of choice on bearing surfaces. I still use the LP on my AR bolts (the only place I still use it) to keep them slick in the carrier.

You motherfuckers and your clean guns...

^^^ Who you talking to Willis?
    5G Motorola Razr

I'll attest to Cattle having no idea what you're talking about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater