Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Different Guns

Graduate
    I use to have a hard time shooting a dirty gun, but I've gotten much better at it as the years have gone by.
    Last edited by FLT; February 20th, 2017 at 01:51 PM.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Dildo Smuggler
    Quote Originally Posted by staffordm View Post
    Hello All,

Is there anywhere or anyone who teaches a class on proper cleaning of different guns?

I have looked through youtube videos which is the first thing people tell me when I ask these questions.
    This rookie though would like to sit down and take the time to learn from someone who is experienced and can teach the different parts of the guns.

I own two handguns, one rifle and one shotgun.

Thanks.
    Hello...

More guns were worn out by cleaning..... than by shoot them.....

...many .22's have became very inaccurate by never cleaning them at all....

When you use old military round that are corrosive you must scub the bore with hot soapy water...rinse...dry and then oil it....

You'll be ok now....

What guns are you specifically trying to clean? Many things make one gun different from another. Finish changes what may be a good cleaner for one vs another. When you clean a gun, you must re lube it, and that varies from gun to gun. What you even clean varies from gun to gun, some guns need to be spotless (some of the cheaper semi-auto shotguns come to mind) and other do well with a lot of fouling.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

...many .22's have became very inaccurate by never cleaning them at all....

The Winchester 62a I referenced as one of the 3 guns I would want when SHTF; it was used in Frosty Morn Meat Packing for 40+ years. In their heyday they processed 100+ steers and 300+ hogs a day, 6 days a week. It was used, best I'm told, to put every one of these animals down. I'm told the only cleaning it ever got was a good dose of 3in1 oil on an as need basis.

I'd wager it is still about as accurate an any NIB 22.

Side note; The old meat packing plant is now a tomato processing plant. About once a year they have a drain stop up that has to be cleaned out and they are still getting old spent 22 short and LR spent casings out of the drain system.
    5G Motorola Razr

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    The Winchester 62a I referenced as one of the 3 guns I would want when SHTF; it was used in Frosty Morn Meat Packing for 40+ years. In their heyday they processed 100+ steers and 300+ hogs a day, 6 days a week. It was used, best I'm told, to put every one of these animals down. I'm told the only cleaning it ever got was a good dose of 3in1 oil on an as need basis.

I'd wager it is still as accurate an any NIB 22.

Side note; The old meat packing plant is now a tomato processing plant. About once a year they have a drain stop up that has to be cleaned out and they are still getting old spent 22 short and LR spent casings out of the drain system.
    That's a hell of a pedigree on that gun. That's approaching 5 million rounds though. You buy that?
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    That's a hell of a pedigree on that gun. That's approaching 5 million rounds though. You buy that?
    It LOOKS LIKE HELL Tack. No It was given to me 20 years ago by the old man that ran Frosty Morn in Quincy.

I seriously doubt it was the only one they ever had, but that's the story. If you look at it, the story is believable! LOL
    5G Motorola Razr

It LOOKS LIKE HELL Tack. No It was given to me 20 years ago by the old man that ran Frosty Morn in Quincy.
    I like it.

Bring it to a Fireside Chat. I'd love to see it.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Dildo Smuggler

I'd wager it is still about as accurate an any NIB 22.

Wow...that's an incredible amount of rounds as someone else has mentioned.

Have you ever cleaned it?

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
    Wow...that's an incredible amount of rounds as someone else has mentioned.

Have you ever cleaned it?
    Cattle clean guns? Shit. Last time I seen his carry pistol that bitch had pocket lint and sunflower seeds falling out of the Magwell...

Quote Originally Posted by 12bhunting View Post
    Cattle clean guns? Shit. Last time I seen his carry pistol that bitch had pocket lint and sunflower seeds falling out of the Magwell...
    Hey, It was Pinon nuts, but it still ran.
    5G Motorola Razr