Signal 0
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Basics

I have read Musashi, a couple times actually. It, along with Japanese martial arts, shaped me as a child and young man. The discipline it gave me was like no other activity I have ever tried growing up. Most kids probably have the same experience if they were doing it for the right reasons. The search for greatness without ego.

I haven't heard of the 2nd book you mention. I will check it out.
    ------ For the ordinary person, everything is either a blessing or a curse. For the warrior, there are only challenges.--------

------Boat ramps and gun ranges can be some of the best places to see the depth of human stupidity------

------ "It doesn't matter.......it is AK......" AKOUL4774------

Graduate
    Note to self, don't scrap with EM. He knows that sneaky oriental fighting stuff!
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Quote Originally Posted by FLT View Post
    Note to self, don't scrap with EM. He knows that sneaky oriental fighting stuff!
    On the street it's often referred to as Hoo Flung Dung.

<------Black belt in ClickPow

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
    Karate-do Kyohan is on the book shelf. I'm not a stickler for Shotokan, especially the kata that was adapted for "competitive" use. But most people don't realize that up until the 1920's Japan had no idea of Karate-do and only practiced Judo, and that it was Funakoshi that brought it to the mainland from Okinawa.

There's another quote from a different time on theory; "doctrine is the haven of the unimaginative."
    Like my dad used to say, "There's more than one way to kill a cat". Of course he also said, "The only good cat is a stir-fried cat". But I chalked that up to excessive time in the bush.
    For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; -Proverbs 1:32

Ratione Aut Vi