Likes Likes:  155
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Need advice

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post

At some point you will get to the "that's good enough for me" point.
    You may be there already.

The rifle will tell you what it likes.

Worth repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_McNasty View Post
    For simplicity's sake, I would load up 20-30 of those 45'ers and stretch it out to 200-300yds next when possible.
    Many of those loads look good. You are cleary doing a maticulous job there.
    This is part of my plan. I'm taking my fireform casings and test the 3 types of bullets I have, at 300 yards. Is hard to test at different distances because, the same police range, is used for all distances, just on different days. I will sit and think what I want to do and where I want to go with this. I have another caliber, I need to do the same thing. I have an RPR, 6.5 creed, I haven't shoot yet. Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciated.

The range was open this weekend, so I test some other loads around the first loads I liked 45g and 42.5 g of varget, I did 9 more loads of 5 bullets each. There's one load, that I'm baffle with, the 44.3 load, have 3 shoots going in one hole...... or so I think. The target only show 3 holes but one hole is bigger than the other 2, telling me, that there's the possibility that more than one bullet pass trough that hole. No...I didn't shoot someone else target. The closes target to mine , was around 20 feet away, and my target was the only black target out there, so I can see the bulls-eyes better. I check the other targets on my board and none have more than 5 holes in it. I did notice, that the loads around my initial 2 numbers are good. I was able to hit good groups and since this was my second rodeo, I was not afraid of the rifle blowing up. DSC_0466.jpg DSC_0467.jpg DSC_0468.jpg DSC_0469.jpg DSC_0470.jpg DSC_0471.jpg DSC_0472.jpg DSC_0473.jpg DSC_0474.jpg

I like the 42.7. No need to go hotter than you need. Stretch them out at 300 and see what you get.
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    I'd play more with 45gr. Varget. Running a weaker load is like only using half your Dick while fucking.

My best loads for my 308 is 42.5 & 45.5 using varget under a 165 gr game king. I found it to be a common occurrence looking at other guys data and it saved me a lot of time. Maybe not as fun as running various ladders....

Graduate
    Load development for target is diffrent for load development for hunting.
    A lot is similar, but the nuances that are not is that target shooters are not concerned with terminal ballistics and muzzle energy.
    Paper is real easy to kill.
    Bullets behave diffrently at 300 or longer than they do at short range.
    Now if you were looking for a long range load that would stay supersonic, that is diffrent than a midrange load.
    Scopes have elevation dials on them for a reason.
    He is a lot closer to malabar gun club than we are, just sayin.

A lot is similar, but the nuances that are not is that target shooters are not concerned with terminal ballistics and muzzle energy.
    Now if you were looking for a long range load that would stay supersonic, that is diffrent than a midrange load.
    Just talking shit man. The 42.5 is my kid load. Will work just as well on paper as it will deer....

I do like the 42.4, 42.5 and 42.7 , I will stick to those grains of powder for my 100-300 y shooting. The 45 gr, will be for 600+ yards, when I can go to a range that have that distance. When I get the chance, I will definitely try them at 300 y. Now I can concentrate on the 6.5 creed.