Signal 0
Likes Likes:  155
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

I decided to start reloading for my 308 win. I know I need a press, but what else is needed? to clean the casings? weight the powder? etc. I want to buy stuff little by little, so I don't have to drop 1K at one time. What should I buy first? I want a quality equipment that I can go to other calibers later on. Like they say, buy once cry once. Another thing that confused me is, I see the Dillon presses been sold on Ebay, but , the same press by caliber. Any advice will be appreciated.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    If you already have your dies, a good digital scale, and a nice reliable caliper your good to go. I use a Lee single stage and hand load one at a time. I use a sharpie to find my lands and go from there depending on my bullet selection. I did order a seater for my 7mag and 270 that seats from the ogive. But it will only work with Sierra game kings. Once you figure out what bullet you want to run I would suggest doing the same.

If you buy a Lee single stage $130, a die set $30, scale $45 & a caliper $40 you can get set up and running for under $250. I wash my casings in dawn dishwashing liquid and dry them in the oven. Add in a pound of powder $34 and a box of bullets $30 + - and your set. All reload date is available free .99 on the internet.

Go by DSH and ask them to explain reloading to you. They have a reloading room, several presses and can give you a good overview of the process.

http://www.dshfirearms.com/
    5G Motorola Razr

Quote Originally Posted by 30plusretlaw View Post
    I decided to start reloading for my 308 win. I know I need a press, but what else is needed? to clean the casings? weight the powder? etc. I want to buy stuff little by little, so I don't have to drop 1K at one time. What should I buy first? I want a quality equipment that I can go to other calibers later on. Like they say, buy once cry once. Another thing that confused me is, I see the Dillon presses been sold on Ebay, but , the same press by caliber. Any advice will be appreciated.
    f

Find some one missing at least on finger to teach you. Experience is a hell of an educator.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Just for my own curiosity, as far as precision hand loading for a rifle, can anyone see anything to gain by buying an expensive press instead of using a simple single stage press? I understand for large quantities for pistol it would be to time consuming, but is there any advantage over a Lee buy spending more?

Graduate
    You want the press to have the leverage to whip the brass, not have the brass whip the press.
    Additionally you want the press to have a large enough opening so you don't have to do gymnastics when seating long bullets.

I have a old lyman all american that cams over, but I haven't found the need to use it over the lee classic cast turret I do most of my loading on.

But that said, if I run across a good deal on a rock chucker, id be tempted to pick it up.
    Last edited by mapper; November 7th, 2016 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 12bhunting View Post
    Just for my own curiosity, as far as precision hand loading for a rifle, can anyone see anything to gain by buying an expensive press instead of using a simple single stage press? I understand for large quantities for pistol it would be to time consuming, but is there any advantage over a Lee buy spending more?
    Nope, I have a single stage RCBS for hunting rounds and weigh every charge of powder before I pour it into the brass.
    5G Motorola Razr

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Been using an old rcbs rocker chucker for over 40 yrs no wear as good as the day I bought it.No telling how many thousands of rounds has been loaded with it.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Quote Originally Posted by 12bhunting View Post
    If you already have your dies, a good digital scale, and a nice reliable caliper your good to go. I use a Lee single stage and hand load one at a time. I use a sharpie to find my lands and go from there depending on my bullet selection. I did order a seater for my 7mag and 270 that seats from the ogive. But it will only work with Sierra game kings. Once you figure out what bullet you want to run I would suggest doing the same.
    I got nothing!!!!Lol. starting from scratch.