Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  155
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice

I think, I'm confused. I'm thinking, that If I reload for the BA, I can use the same rounds on the AR. So it will depend on the seating of the bullet? I have to read a lot. I really enjoy the BA, so it will be primarily for that rifle but when the range is at a 100 yards, I might bring the AR also. The BSO range use the same lanes for 100, 200, 300 yards. They divided by weekend. The 300 yards, looking at the schedule, is only 4 times a year :-( . BTW Just learn something today. By looking at the firing pin strike, I can tell the ones that were fired by the BA vs the ones from the AR, even the manufacturer. The PPU and the Federal primers strikes, look different. Does seating of the bullet, dictate, how much powder I can put on the casing, for more velocity? Last question for today, Where do you guys buy the powder and primers? online or local? I see tons of powders, how do I know which one to buy, same for the primers? Thanks again.
    Last edited by 30plusretlaw; November 11th, 2016 at 02:33 AM.

30, you bring up lots of questions, I sense you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed. Take a breath, It's all pretty simple, common sense and methodical once you get going.

I know no one that that got into reloading by reading and going it alone. A mentor makes the learning process go pretty smoothly. Get up with your friend and help him reload some, It will all make sense.
    5G Motorola Razr

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Unless you are loading them one at a time your magazine plays a big role in your overall cartridge length. Let's forget about AR10. This is just example. Say your tikka is accurate with the bullet .006 off the lands, which puts your total cartridge length at 2.91 But now your overall cartridge length is longer than 2.8", so they will not properly fit in your magazine. But if you seated the bullet another .003 they would the feed properly from your mag. In other words your magazine dictates the length of cartridges that you can run in that particular rifle. Accuracy may be better .006 off the lands, but your magazine may only work if you seated the deeper by reducing total cartridge length by running .009 off the lands.

The amount of powder is also dependant on each particular rifle. Load data tells you for example a starting load of 42 grains, max load of 47 grains. So you start at 42 grains and work up to 47. When you start getting to the top limit you check for pressure signs. I like to load every step in .5 grains to find accuracy. Generally there are 2 nodes that will group tighter than others. Once you find them you can then get more tedious. Hopefully I did not just confuse you. I'm not good at typing shit that makes sense. But honestly it's not difficult at all once you get into it.
    I buy powder from dsh. I buy bullets from Kevin's.

Graduate
    All great advice. ^^^^But to start you can just load them to the same over all lenth as a factory round. I've done that many times with a new rifle . If I like the rifle I'll then adjust over all lenth and the powder charge. In a hunting rifle I never exceed magazine lenth and can usually get them to shoot under a inch.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

OOOHHHH yes, I'm kind of confused, but, It will sink in. LOL. Anyway, I probably won't be reloading until the new year. Got my equipment yesterday, Still need the Tumbler, media separator, powder, primes and bullets. I took over my son room, that is living in Tally, and made it my man cave. Put my safe, workbench, all my shooting and diving equipment. I was taking the bed down this weekend, to put a bench there for reloading, But he is coming with the GF for Thanksgiving. and are going to use the room. Now is also the busy season, and will be working 6 days a week.

One question, I want to buy the bullets. I'm not competing or going to try to beat anyone on accuracy. I just want to have fun. I was looking yesterday at reloading sites, and the amount of bullets, is , overwhelming. I just want an all around good round to start, have fun with it, until I know what I'm doing, and then later on, buy more dedicated bullets and try to push the envelope. What brand and kind of bullet should I be looking for. I know Hunting bullets and match specific bullets are out of the question.

Graduate
    I like Sierra bullets, back when I started loading they were the best that money could buy. Now days they are all good you can't go wrong with hornady,Speer, Sierra , Barnes or any other of the major brands. I like 150/165 grain bullets in the 308 either in the hunting or target type. Powder valley is the place I get most of my reloading supplies from.

If you want to try some various weight 30 cal Sierra's PM me. I'll put a doggy bag together for you. Jim
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Thanks for the offer JMW, I'm all the way down in WPB, if not I would take that offer. I currently have 200 rounds of 168 and 40 rounds of 175 grain Federal gold match.
    12B I was looking in the Nosler reference book and saw that about the powder. So now I understand....I think, that after finding the grains my rifle like, I can loaded with different grains of powder and find out what combination work best. I see is a long but fun process. Also saw the primers make a difference. I saw they recommend Federal 210 and 210M, but also reading around, read, that many people like the WLR primers over the federal. I was trying to find the primers online and they are sold out everywhere. I think I found only one store that had CCI primers. So I guess I will go ahead and wait till they come available and buy the tumbler and media separator while I wait till the primers become available. I'm going to a gun show tomorrow and I will check there also.

Graduate
    I can spare a couple of hundred primers if you can't find any by the time you are ready to start loading. I'll be at the house in Verobeach either just before or just after thanksgiving . That's only about 70 miles from you.