Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AR15/CARBINE CLASS Feb 13th/14th

Quote Originally Posted by Airgator0470 View Post
    The AK problem was self-induced... THE MORNING of class, which is the worst time to start fucking with things, the owner tried to bend the safety lever so it would not bind so hard on the receiver... the spring that holds the FCG never was reinstalled properly... as far as I remember... so in this case, we CAN NOT blame the AK or platform for the problem.

I know for a fact he started the class with it that way... if any of you guys helped him change it later, I was unaware.
    The shepherd's hook spring in the AK is a grenade pin; once you pull it, you're not putting it back in without something blowing up.

Graduate
    Maybe 1500.

I gave the kid my AK to run for the class.

Bob, I felt like the malfunction drills should have been omitted in place of more advanced skills. Failure drills are a basic skill that should be understood before attending an advanced class. I think we spent about an hour reviewing failures, addressing them, and shooting with dummies. I would have rather seen the dummy rounds injected elsewhere throughout the day, especially in the obstacle course at the end.

I would certainly recommend both classes to anyone wanting extend their understanding of the platform and advanced rifle skills.
    I guess I disagree on the malfunction drills - I believe these are important even for advanced shooters.
    Last edited by Tack Driver; November 27th, 2017 at 03:37 PM.

At some point though you want to do the malfunction drills unexpectedly. knowing you are going to have a malfunction is a whole lot different than expecting bang and getting click.

Sure does help knowing when and where you're gonna be hit, sir. Sgt Maj.Choozoo

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

so, would you have someone designated to load everyone's magazines, and they randomly add in a dummy or two or even an empty case(i assume this would likely induce a malfunction) in the mags?
    THE GREATER PART OF LIBERTY IS MINDING YOUR OWN FUCKIN BUSINESS.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by e.money83 View Post
    so, would you have someone designated to load everyone's magazines, and they randomly add in a dummy or two or even an empty case(i assume this would likely induce a malfunction) in the mags?
    That's basically what we did - took three or five mags and randomly loaded dummy rounds in each and then switched with someone else. Bob then gave the command to fire randomly and you had to react.

Quote Originally Posted by Danman View Post
    That's basically what we did - took three or five mags and randomly loaded dummy rounds in each and then switched with someone else. Bob then gave the command to fire randomly and you had to react.
    This is something that you can't do too much of. And to revert back to the original complaint, firefights are made up of complex dynamic situations in the manner of which Clausewitz said "makes the easiest of things so difficult."

Until a shooter can exhaust his fastest times in clearing malfunctions and reloading his weapon, all other drills are relative to the probability for them to present themselves. Malfunctions and reloads have a 100% rate of occurring. I'm sure Bob would agree with this, but the reason that his Advanced class is named so is because it is the advanced applications of basic fundamentals.
    Last edited by Jafar; February 15th, 2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: change of verbiage

Maybe 1500.

I gave the kid my AK to run for the class.

Bob, I felt like the malfunction drills should have been omitted in place of more advanced skills. Failure drills are a basic skill that should be understood before attending an advanced class. I think we spent about an hour reviewing failures, addressing them, and shooting with dummies. I would have rather seen the dummy rounds injected elsewhere throughout the day, especially in the obstacle course at the end.

I would certainly recommend both classes to anyone wanting extend their understanding of the platform and advanced rifle skills.
    Understood... thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Tack Driver; November 27th, 2017 at 03:37 PM.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
    The shepherd's hook spring in the AK is a grenade pin; once you pull it, you're not putting it back in without something blowing up.
    I fully admitted to the shooter I did not know ANYTHING about the AK... I should have sent you an IM or called you... we located a picture AFTER we figured out how it sits... we were under where we should have been over I think or the other way around. Lesson learned by the shooter... he's a good kid, put in max training effort and was safe.

[QUOTE=Jafar;186838]This is something that you can't do too much of. And to revert back to the original complaint, firefights are made up of complex dynamic situations in the manner of which Clausewitz said "makes the easiest of things so difficult."

Until a shooter can exhaust his fastest times in clearing malfunctions and reloading his weapon, all other drills are useless. I'm sure Bob would agree with this, but the reason that his Advanced class is named so is because it is the advanced applications of basic fundamentals.[/QUOTE

Agree. Mechanics and manipulation skills (mag loads and malfunction clearing) are at the top of my list of things that should be worked on... constantly. I appreciate the feedback but will keep the tasks in place as implemented.

Yes, I have folks load magazines with various round counts, generally five live rounds with a dud stuck somewhere in the mix... some get creative and put two in a mag, and then swap mags... so no, even though you KNOW it's coming, it still fucks guys up. Until that FUCK UP is eliminated, the drill and exercise is valid.

[QUOTE=Airgator0470;186849]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
    This is something that you can't do too much of. And to revert back to the original complaint, firefights are made up of complex dynamic situations in the manner of which Clausewitz said "makes the easiest of things so difficult."

Until a shooter can exhaust his fastest times in clearing malfunctions and reloading his weapon, all other drills are useless. I'm sure Bob would agree with this, but the reason that his Advanced class is named so is because it is the advanced applications of basic fundamentals.[/QUOTE

Agree. Mechanics and manipulation skills (mag loads and malfunction clearing) are at the top of my list of things that should be worked on... constantly. I appreciate the feedback but will keep the tasks in place as implemented.

Yes, I have folks load magazines with various round counts, generally five live rounds with a dud stuck somewhere in the mix... some get creative and put two in a mag, and then swap mags... so no, even though you KNOW it's coming, it still fucks guys up. Until that FUCK UP is eliminated, the drill and exercise is valid.
    I even re-worded that response to attenuate the actual point I was trying to make.