Signal 0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  2

Thread: Fun with a rifle

Fun with a rifle

Keep in mind this is the Competition string.

As far as I know, there are only 4 competitions at Talon?
    USPSA, Bowling Pins, 3 Gun, and the Steel Match.
    Out of all that shooting, for me, the pure fun one is the Steel Match with rimfire rifle.
    Since I was the only one that showed up with a rifle at the last steel match, I'm wondering if anyone knows you can drag out your 22 whizbang and ring some steel?
    I've got a 22 AR with various tops - aimpoint, 1-6 cheapass junk scope, and irons. The junk scope is a pain, the irons are ok, the aimpoint is get it on. Any 22 is fun on the steel. It is a competition, but for me after the first stage it's full focus on rifle handling and getting on target, making the shot and get on the next target. Really good practice for target acquirement, and weapon manipulation (almost sounds tactical....).

and you can shoot multiple guns with a reduced price for 2nd and 3rd guns.
    .....there are no mistakes in life, only lessons.....
    .....don't be upset by results you didn't get, from practice you didn't do.....

I have a 20" AR with a 1=12 barrel that I can use an adapter in. However, I don't feel like it is reliable enough for competition.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    easternrider - tell me a little more about how this goes down. Can you refer me to rules or competition classes for .22 LR? This sounds like it would be a lot of fun for me and my son.

Graduate
    Dale, didn't mean to dislike post, finger went off target.
    This sounds cool, what ranges and target sizes?

I offset the dislike with a like
    Yo Tony, Do me a kindness. - Winnebago Man

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

"We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their living goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun cocksuckers by the bushel-fucking-basket. War is a bloody, killing business. You've got to spill their blood, or they will spill yours." - George S. Patton

Junior
    I've got an Action Target 22 dueling tree. It's fun by myself but it's way more fun with a bunch of other folks. Michael, if you're interested I can drag it out sometime soon and maybe a few folks will join in. I also think a rimfire "tactical" match would be in order sometime. There are a number of ways to go about it. Here's a link to some ideas. Guns don't have to be "tactical 22's", whatever that means.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/rimfiretactical.html

However, like you, I'm really a fan of steel. The steel challenge match is fun but there's nothing to get the juices flowing like a good shooter-on-shooter duel. And if I can make the next steel challenge, I'll bring a rimfire rifle as well, just to try and give you a little competition.
    Last edited by Ken; December 27th, 2015 at 02:01 PM.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by substratum View Post
    easternrider - tell me a little more about how this goes down. Can you refer me to rules or competition classes for .22 LR? This sounds like it would be a lot of fun for me and my son.

Not easternrider, but: 5, maybe 6 different stages of steel targets with 5 targets in each stage. Each stage is a different layout with different size targets/distances. In each stage you shoot 4 targets in any order followed by the "stop plate", the final target to shoot at which stops the time. You shoot each stage 4 or 5 times (it's been a while) with the total time, minus your slowest run, being your score. Quickest time wins. In addition to a number of centerfire pistol classifications, there's also rimfire pistol and rimfire rifle. I think there's classifications for iron sights and one for optics. Red dot sight is the optic of choice. Semi-auto rules the day. Easternrider can add to this if I've gotten anything wrong or left something out.