Signal 0
Likes Likes:  50
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Our Dear Leader needs our help

Our Dear Leader needs our help

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander
    Our dear friend Mike O’Lary (Rumbler) is suffering from liver failure and other critical issues which may lead to his passing if he does not get help immediately.
    Mike has no insurance and he needs funding for a vital operation and several other critical procedures, as well as help during his recuperation period.

Mike has been a mentor to many, providing firearms instruction and promoting gun safety for many years. He was a sponsor/adviser to the FSU Rifle Association and has helped many students become expert in shooting techniques. This most kind and generous friend is in dire need of funding and support. Thank you for your consideration and help.

http://www.gofundme.com/ekpe1c
    Folks, it's taken a lot to get Rumbler to even let us post this much. The stubborn old coot loves to help others but isn't quite as good at receiving it. Highlander asked to have the thread locked to comments as Rumbler doesn't want a public pity party, but that shouldn't stop you from PM'ing him. I know a lot has been asked out of many of you, but Mike is fairly well running on fumes and he's at a time-critical juncture. We also know that you guys come through when it really matters. Thanks for all you guys do and continue to do.
    Last edited by jonastio; September 17th, 2014 at 12:31 PM.

I do feel that I need to say a few things to you all.

First, thank heaven for Admin privileges so that I can post this myself.

Next is to straighten out my "diagnosis". I am suffering liver failure. At this point it is estimated that it functioning approximately 27% of what it should be. According to the doctors I have spoken to, at about 20% I either get a transplant or I die. Lifelong dialysis is not something I am willing to accept. I have known people who did that and I would genuinely rather be dead.

I have some serious complications from that involving other organs and systems. For instance right his minute I am suffering kidney problems, kidney stones, gall bladder disease and gall stones, and loose fluid in my gut that is quickly turning septic. I am pooping and peeing blood. Not "bloody stuff" - but blood.

There is a chemotherapy treatment that will "freeze" the illness causing my liver failure. There is no cure. The course of treatment is currently $85,000.00 and does not come with a money back guarantee of success, though it is advertised as having a 80% success rate.

That treatment is also unavailable to social services recipients. They get a much cheaper treatment with a much lower success rate and it "slows" but does not stop the disease. But just the same, that is the path I am pursuing. The problem is that I have a job. Seriously. Can you believe that shit?!?! If I was a professional social services leach my cost would be ZERO! I'm not kidding you about this. Obamacare is NOT our friend !!!!!!!!!!!

Because I have a job - one I flatly refuse to give up for the purpose of become a taxpayer burden - the MINIMUM annual cost will be $15,800.00 and that is POSSIBLY in perpetuity - forever. That number is too damned close to my annual after taxes income to be something I have the option of living with.

Thus why you my friends even know about this. I have never done any of the things I have done thinking "cool - this person will owe me a favor" - I'm just not wired that way and I think the vast majority of you know that as surely as you know your own name. But I am indeed up against a wall right now and you, my friends, have insisted this avenue of appeal for help be taken.

The next thing I wan to clarify is RAFSU. The FSU Rifle Association. I didn't found it. I just gave what I could to it. I filled the role of sponsor/advisor as required by the university until I was no longer an FSU employee. What RAFSU is, what it has become, is because of the dedication and efforts of the members. Which IS pretty cool. On their first official outing of the pistol team they finished . . I think it was second IN THE NATION, at the Scholastic Steel Challenge. Their long range rifle team is active and participating as best their (self) funding allows, in competitions and events ranging 600 yards and out.

Lastly I just want to say that if worst comes to worst and I die tomorrow I will die happy and fulfilled. This way of life, shooting, training, teaching and learning, is the best anyone could possibly imagine. My God, I get to shoot and educate AND GET PAID FOR IT. I have more honest-to-God friends that care than any person is entitled to have in a lifetime.

Folks, life don't get no better than that.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Folks are moving heaven and earth to keep you around, Mike. You best get healthy.

I'm working at it. At this point I dare not fail. The community would kill me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.