Signal 0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading .223 at less than 2000 fps

Sophomore

Reloading .223 at less than 2000 fps

I am wanting to load up some .223 that will shoot less than 2000 fps so I can shoot it on our indoor pistol range until the rifle range is built. But it still has to function the gun. I have gotten it down to 2200 fps and still functioning but when i get it any lower it will strip the used brass out but not put in a new round. HELP Please!!!
    "I will not apologize for who I am or what I believe in. I will be my own man. If you want to stand beside me and fight then come on. Just know that I will wait for no one. But, if you join me I will fight until my last breath. I will live and die for each and every person. I may not agree with your lifestyle, but I will love you as my Father in Heaven has commanded. Now, I will not stand for the way us gun owners are treated. So I will prepare."
    -From my own mouth

Oh. That is easy.

. . or so I read. Obviously that is the opposite of what I tend to do. But anyway . . .

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507528

Looks like Hodgdon's TiteGroup or Aliant's 2400 will be your hucklberry.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    Tight group burns a lot cleaner than 2400.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Sophomore
    I have several pounds of the H4895 so I am gonna try that load first.
    "I will not apologize for who I am or what I believe in. I will be my own man. If you want to stand beside me and fight then come on. Just know that I will wait for no one. But, if you join me I will fight until my last breath. I will live and die for each and every person. I may not agree with your lifestyle, but I will love you as my Father in Heaven has commanded. Now, I will not stand for the way us gun owners are treated. So I will prepare."
    -From my own mouth

H4895 is too slow.

But I can certainly understand you wanting to try it.

Have you seen this?

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20...le%20Loads.pdf
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I've had good results with Trail Boss and not so good results with Clays or Tight Group.
    Then again,im aiming at lower velocities and load for different temperatures.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" -Plato

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    H4895 is too slow.

But I can certainly understand you wanting to try it.

Have you seen this?

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20...le%20Loads.pdf
    Yes I have. Now another question how fast is the velocity decreasing at 25 yards?
    -From my own mouth

Not very.

But an accurate answer would require math. Beginning with bullet style and weight, ballistic coefficient, air temperature, altitude above (or below) sea level.

Now you see why I said "not very".

Quote Originally Posted by Boarhawg52 View Post
    I am wanting to load up some .223 that will shoot less than 2000 fps so I can shoot it on our indoor pistol range until the rifle range is built. But it still has to function the gun. I have gotten it down to 2200 fps and still functioning but when i get it any lower it will strip the used brass out but not put in a new round. HELP Please!!!
    I'm working on getting the right buffer spring tension so it will cycle at velocities between1062-1159.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I'm working on getting the right buffer spring tension so it will cycle at velocities between1062-1159.
    If you can get an AR15 to cycle sub-sonic .223 let me know...
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.