Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowling pin match for rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle/Horses View Post
    I have some .30 X.22 sabots that you can load if you want to play with them?

Someone donated a small pile of corroded 30-06 ammunition with those projectiles on them to JD just the other day.

As soon as I saw them I thought . . . . . 6000FPS? maybe I can do that !! JD does have a .300 win mag, and plenty of once fired brass.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I wonder if a non-FMJ 55gr would do better, like a soft point. Would it would expand and put more energy into the pin more quickly than a penetrating round?

If you want to try, I have some 55g SP bullets I would give you to try.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

SUGGESTION: Ok, here is a suggestion. Why don't you have the centerfire pistol match (like Talon has been doing) at 7pm like usual. After the regular match you have a "Fun" match and require a 22 Rimfire PISTOL match using the tops of the pins at the same distance and course of fire. That way you continue the momentum developed with the weekly bowling pin shoot but you add in a new twist. TWO GUNS, TWICE THE FUN. The rifle stuff is going to take some more time to develop and you are going lose the momentum of the pistol match. Maybe once a month you could do something different. Jim
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Two words.

Grenade Match.
    Sent from an Altoids Tin via Morse Code

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Craw is right. You guys just can't keep up.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Frankly, I am puzzled by the result I got. I did not expect the pin to fall over, but I DID expect pass through. That didn't happen except on the "head shot" and the bullet appears to still be right below the pin's skin opposite the "entry wound".

So . . . where did the energy go? I've read the energy numbers on the 55gr NATO cartridge a thousand times; it should have been carrying enough energy that if the bullet did stop inside the 'belly' of the pin, the dagum pin should have at least fallen over.

So . . to be perfectly honest, I have no idea if a heavier bullet - that is still very light - would be significantly different. My instinct tells me a heavier hunting type bullet should knock the snot out of the thing . . but at this point I can't bet on it. I wish I was smarter, I'd really like to know how the result I got is even possible . . . .

Again, anyone who wants to is welcome to come in the pro shop and look at the pin(s). If someone can come up with a theory, I am 110% interested in hearing it.
    The bowling pin probably isn't absorbing all the energy. I would hypothesize that most of the energy is being deflected because it's a round surface and a rounded(ish) bullet. You would need to hit it dead on to transfer the energy.

I'd be interested to see some 556 tracer rounds shot at the same distance to see just how much they deflect.

Actually a lot of energy is dissipated by the plastics in the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy34 View Post
    Two words.

Grenade Match.
    Second.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Damn crawdog why grenades,you are not going to show for it either.Come on out an bring a pistol.I like the idea of 22 rimfire pistols!!!!!
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Damn crawdog why grenades,you are not going to show for it either.Come on out an bring a pistol.I like the idea of 22 rimfire pistols!!!!!

I'll get out there one day. Thursday afternoons suck for me. But I'll make one sonner or later...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    why grenades

Why not?

They go boom.

I like boom.
    Sent from an Altoids Tin via Morse Code

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Craw is right. You guys just can't keep up.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    yeah, I do too.If you can ever get out there you will have fun!
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!