I posted this earlier today on the main board, and it was suggested that I bring it here. So, here goes:

[hr]

So, I got to thinking about something. I have a friend who has to pick up his daughter from his ex-wife's house every weekend, and this never goes smoothly. His ex-wife is insane, and I suspect she abuses her prescription meds (amphetamines), just judging by her behavior. Anybody who's ever known a tweaker knows that they're generally emotionally unstable and prone to wild, violent swings.

I've had to intervene a number of times, taking his six year old daughter away to spend the day with my wife and daughter, when the situation got out of hand. This is a very sad event, every time, but I've known her since before she was born, and I think of her as family. I'm "Uncle Ryan" to her.

All this said, I've always wondered what would happen in the event that Ms. Tweaker became suddenly violent towards me in her own home. I'm welcome there -- it's not as if I'm trespassing, and there would certainly be other credible witnesses to attest to this. She's a large woman (not as large as me, but I think it'd be a very close fight, especially since she's freaking insane), and I never go near her or her friends unless I'm packing. So, with Castle Doctrine and SYG, if I'm unjustly attacked by someone in their own home, do I have the right to defend myself? I'm not an idiot -- I know that this would be a nasty, nasty, god awful situation to end up in, but this is a real-life concern for me.