Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balls of Brass

Balls of Brass

Someone certainly has them.

Between last Sunday evening and Monday afternoon some incredibly profoundly brave - and stupid - people or person helped himself or herself to ALL of the spent brass on the Talon temporary range.

I mean, aside from steel case and rimfire, [size=1em]they functionally sanitized it[/size]. Monday afternoon it took six motivated people to gather about 150 centerfire cases.

You get that? They left the steel case and rimfire. The thief or thieves were in no hurry.

In conference with the owners it was decided that this was completely unacceptable behavior. It will not be tolerated, in fact.

So, I am writing this message with two distinct goals:

1) To ask that should you encounter anyone seeking to sell a massive amount (several thousand) brass cartridge cases you PLEASE contact myself or any other Talon Training personnel . . quickly.

2) To give you a heads up that none of the Talon folks think much of thieves and to suggest that the Talon facility be given a wide berth when closed (this would be a really good place to read between the lines ).
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Re: Balls of Brass

Wow. That sucks. If you need some brass to replace them I have several thousand rounds I came into a couple of days ago. Completely unrelated.

Geez, that does take a pair. Time for the trail cameras... and the cl@ym0res.
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Honest question...

If I shoot on one of the short "pistol" bays and pick up my brass, I assume that is ok...what about other brass I find laying around that was left by others before me? Is that off limits?

At what point does spent brass become property of Talon (or any range) such that picking it up is theft?

I bet that some of the brass this dude took from the temporary range was left by me - could I say he "stole" my brass or did it become Talon's property when I left it?

Also, in the future at the Talon range, are we encouraged to police the ranges for our spent brass when we're done?

It's explained in their safety/introduction class. You can pick up YOUR brass BUT BRASS LEFT BEFORE YOU ARRIVED BELONGS TO TALO.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

[quote author=YankeeFingergasm link=topic=1059.msg10700#msg10700 date=1372469280]
    It's explained in their safety/introduction class. You can pick up YOUR brass BUT BRASS LEFT BEFORE YOU ARRIVED BELONGS TO TALON.
    [/quote]

Bingo. Gold star for you - for sure. Thank you.

A little background so you folks do not get the wrong impression . . just in case . . . I reload ALL the ammunition used in Talon classes ammo is provided for.

As an example, I loaded 1400 rounds of 9MM after I got off work today. That will cover the instructional portion of the basic class running tomorrow morning. Only.

If you have been through a Talon basic class, you know that after the class about 35 or 40 handguns of various calibers (from .22 to .45ACP) are laid out, and ammo cans with ammo in each caliber are opened up. This is to give the new folks an opportunity they don't get in a gun shop to try any gun they think they *might* like in real life. Ammo for that is provided, there is no limit on how many rounds you can fire - only time. When the instructor says it is time to pack up; it is time to pack up.

Anyway, I load all that ammo too.

So . . . me loading 2500-3000 rounds of various pistol calibers PER WEEK is probably very realistic. As I do NOT load mouse farts, I load defensive ammo, given that; the brass only has a short lifespan. Every time I get a batch of brass off of the range probably 20-25% of it goes in the garbage because it is split or otherwise screwed up (I toss any brass that feels funny (too loose) when I seat the primer, for example).

So . . . chances are way above average at some point I will reload every reloadable case left on the range. Talon does not sell/scrap ANY brass. It either goes back in an ammo can to be shot again, or it goes in the dumpster to be hauled off by the garbologist.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Can you not sell the unusable brass to a smelter?

[quote author=Jonas link=topic=1059.msg10722#msg10722 date=1372476437]
    Can you not sell the unusable brass to a smelter?
    [/quote]

The (old) primers make it hazardous waste. MODERN primers are no longer mercuric, but because there is no practical way to tell old from new in large(r) quantities the metal buyers go for the lowest common denominator. Thus it would require decapping all the old brass.

. . . that is not to say there is not someone somewhere that would buy it, but as Talon's owners are LEOs . . . . . . :

[quote author=YankeeFingergasm link=topic=1059.msg10700#msg10700 date=1372469280]
    It's explained in their safety/introduction class. You can pick up YOUR brass BUT BRASS LEFT BEFORE YOU ARRIVED BELONGS TO TALON.
    [/quote]

That makes sense. Hoping to make it to my safety course tomorrow. Thanks!

Nova Scotia or downtown Tallahassee, one or the other...

[quote author=Rumbler link=topic=1059.msg10721#msg10721 date=1372475786]
    Talon does not sell/scrap ANY brass. It either goes back in an ammo can to be shot again, or it goes in the dumpster to be hauled off by the garbologist.
    [/quote]

That's pretty silly and a waste of resources.

A little bit of brass isn't worth much but as time goes by and more and more piles up, it becomes well worth a trip to recycle.
    "Living life in fear isn't living life at all." ~ Winter Soldier