Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arbor Press

Graduate
    The main thing precision reloading does for me , is to eliminate the flyers. I'm about a minute of angle shooter out to 300 yards. That means I won't see a big reduction in group size but that unexplained flyer that opens the group up or misses the target doesn't happen nearly as often. You guys that can shoot under an inch at 200 yards will see a marked improvement in group size. It would be well worth your time to give it a try.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Graduate
    So how far down the rabbit hole do you go, all the way to the David Tubb suite?
    Meaning on each loaded round do you check on the neco guage, mark the high point on the case, and index it at the same point in the chamber prior to firing it.

See about the 29 minute mark in this
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=NUnrYp0NH38

Or do you park next door in the Richard Lee gravel lot, and do each thing consistiently?

I have often wondered what diffrences it would make, but haven't bought guages to be able to tell me any errors, or changes in procedures or equipment to reduce them. So I park in the gravel lot and make ammo as consistient as I can.
    Last edited by mapper; November 19th, 2015 at 03:18 PM.

I don't think I am a good enough shooter to notice. Nor do I think my guns and optics are (at this point) shooting far enough to notice. But I am sure it does matter for those who have gotten all of the shit truly together.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I don't think I am a good enough shooter to notice. Nor do I think my guns and optics are (at this point) shooting far enough to notice. But I am sure it does matter for those who have gotten all of the shit truly together and still have the eyesight they did in their 20's and 30's .
    FTFY

That's most of my problem these days. My contacts have me at 20/20, but through a scope, it's not as crisp as it used to be. My optician has explained it all, but I willn't go into all that.
    5G Motorola Razr

Graduate
    [QUOTE=mapper;174344]So how far down the rabbit hole do you go, all the way to the David Tubb suite?
    I got pretty deep . I have good equipment and in my opinion some first rate rifles. That's what let's me know I'm a minute of angle shooter.I have a friend that's capable of shooting 3/8 inch groups with the same rifle and ammo. One thing that I do is mark any case that is a flyer then when I load it again I'm extra careful with it . If it's out of the group on the next firing I throw it away. I don't waste any time trying to figure out what's wrong with it. That step along will tighten up your groups measurable .

I have often wondered what diffrences it would make, but haven't bought guages to be able to tell me any errors, or changes in procedures or equipment to reduce them. So I park in the gravel lot and make ammo as consistient as I can. That's pretty much the way I started and no better than I can shoot it would have been all I ever needed.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

I was watching a Darrel Holland course where he was using an Arbor press in conjunction with a barrel block that was made with the exact same reamer and dimensions of his rifle's chamber. He could use the arbor press to seat his bullet and then check against the barrel block, trying to get the bullet set in the same place every time (just touching the lands).

Once he had the bullet seat adjusted, he could fly through the loads and be at exactly the same set depth every time while reducing run out that could occur on a normal press bullet seat die. This would allow him to refrain from having to use a concentricity roller to provide the same bullet position every time. In his explanation; same bullet depth and no run out equals amazing consistency and precision.

He also uses a brass mill to turn his necks as well. Now I'm sure these are above and beyond techniques for a lot of people, but if we're going through the trouble of building rifles and hand loading ammo, why not? I'm at least down to experiment with it to see what happens. If nothing else, I'm just learning one more thing about the way my rifles shoot.

I also trim meplats if that tells you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post

I didn't know you were French.
    None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license.
    --John Milton

Only digging in on the position of the truth – yes, I defend guns because guns are useful for killing criminals and tyrants – is going to be successful. Only the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
    I trim me plats too. Some times they just get too hairy.

Oh wait..
    Last edited by Dale Gribble; November 19th, 2015 at 05:40 PM.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.