Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silencers are golden. But priced like tin!!

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    No it shouldn't as long as the suppressor is rated for it. Some multi caliber units have warning about using full tilt rounds of higher calibers in them.

It reduces the muzzle blast noise to a degree, but the supersonic 'crack' will still be quite loud.
    so they are pressure rated?

Quote Originally Posted by 12bhunting View Post
    so they are pressure rated?
    Ive not seen any rated that way. i've seen caliber limits, and barrel limits.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    It's not just peak pressure that's the problem . It's the volume, think about the amount of powder in a 308 compared to a 300 ultra mag . A 308 rated supressor cannot handle the volume of a 300 ultra mag with out the pressure exceeding the working limits it was designed for.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Do all suppressors have to be cleaned? I was told that I didn't have to do anything with the Yankee Hill and SF suppressors that I have. Was that bad advice?
    Last edited by simmoag; October 12th, 2015 at 09:54 PM.

NO they do not.

Follow the manufacturers recommendations. Several say they do not need cleaning, a few older ones did.

Many used to come apart, few center fire ones do now. I think materials and baffle design have a lot to do with it.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

So after I drop the grand on the $35 worth of material how much am I looking at for the gubmints permission to touch it and how long before I get it and I am assuming I get to pay for the whole shooting match up front?

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

Quote Originally Posted by simmoag View Post
    Do all suppressor a have to be cleaned? I was told that I didn't have to do anything with the Yankee Hill and SF suppressors that I have. Was that bad advice?
    .22 LR ammo is generally dirty etc. and it is good for them to come apart. Also, if you are shooting cast bullets in a center fire pistol suppressor, it is good if they can be taken apart and cleaned.
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

"Governor, I haven't let another man touch my gun since 1861."

Graduate
    To clean or not to clean that is the question. This has the potential to surpass the 9mm/45acp debate.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Quote Originally Posted by 0utlaw View Post
    So after I drop the grand on the $35 worth of material how much am I looking at for the gubmints permission to touch it and how long before I get it and I am assuming I get to pay for the whole shooting match up front?
    $200 for your stamp. And its all up front.

Many folks form a trust to own the stamp. Doesn't save you money upfront, however it makes it easy to transfer your stuffs to a loved one when you no longer need them.
    Last edited by Dale Gribble; October 13th, 2015 at 06:26 AM.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by simmoag View Post
    Do all suppressors have to be cleaned? I was told that I didn't have to do anything with the Yankee Hill and SF suppressors that I have. Was that bad advice?
    If you shoot cast bullets, I'm not sure a non-take apart can is a good idea.