Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCGF - Ballistics Testing Event

CCGF - Ballistics Testing Event

Stand By For NEWS! ;D ;D

Starting to pull together details on this but thanks to the generosity of Talon2 we will have access to ballistics gelatin, HD camera(s) and chronograph(s) for the purpose of doing some first hand in-person ballistics testing.

As you can imagine to make this truly useful testing and not just a fun event (it will be a TON of fun by default if you ask me!) there are a whole lot of details to work out besides just when and where.

So be patient, but please know that at this point I'm thinking "in 30-days or less". If I were you, I'd start acquiring a few rounds of something you really feel a need to test. [size=1em] . . . to avoid duplication you may even want to post in this thread what YOU are intending to bring so we do not wind up with 50,000 rounds of 9mm and .380 hardball ammunition.[/size]
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Re: CCGF - Ballistics Testing Event

Mike, I'd like volunteer my time and any $$$ that may be needed to make this happen.
    Just let me know.

Hey. Y'all don't forget about this.

As I'm not having much luck finding a volunteer to let us set up all the junk in their backyard and shoot a bunch, it looks like it is time for plan "b". Plan "b" stands for "bucks".

I'm pretty sure if it was coordinated with them Otter Creek would let us do this on a Saturday. But it may very well cost everyone not a member of OC $10.00 for the day.

I had to take my bulldog to the Doctor this morning (Saturday) to get a new license plate - renew his registration. Saturday is my shooting day, so that means I didn't go down there today. I will see if they would be receptive to the idea next Saturday. If I don't shoot at least every two weeks, I get all fidgity.

I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Mike, you may want to go with coonbottom.
    It's still $10.00 per person and if we go before 2pm we can have to entire range to ourselves.

[quote author=Wizard link=topic=104.msg1071#msg1071 date=1336256396]
    Mike, you may want to go with coonbottom.
    It's still $10.00 per person and if we go before 2pm we can have to entire range to ourselves.
    [/quote]

I'm liking that idea. Remember that I'm old. I usually get up early. I am perfectly OK with the idea of taking a nap at home by 2:00PM. It is one of the privileges of age that I enjoy quite a lot.

Besides, from where I'm sitting I am right about in the middle between coonbottom and otter creek so both of them are way too dang far away.

I also need to look into how this jello stuff works. I know you put the chunks in da pan and melt them into one big piece, which you then blow to bits again. . . and again, and again.

But I have no idea how long that "reconstitution process" takes. I'm betting it works a lot like jello except that it will set at room temperature. Anyway, heating melts it all together and then it has to cool off before reuse.

. . . that may take a while, ya know.

I hear ya.

If its any help, coonbottom has a refrigerator and a comfy sofa.

Oh man, I'm all about sofas.

Otay. I've read the documentation on Perma-Gel .

Time is an issue. It takes hours and hours to reconstitute this product into ready to shoot blocks. Like eight. Absolute minimum of eight - that is taking where they say "8-12 hours" as 8.

So, in practical terms we will have two blocks of gel to shoot. Whether they needed to be arranged so that one shot hits two blocks will very much depend on the power of the cartridge, but I'm thinking most will need two blocks to stop them.

I think that is very workable, but we might be smart to actually plan what weapons and loads are tested to get the most mileage out of the jello and the most data too.

So, we going anywhere with this? This sounds like fun.

Most definitely!

Things have been happening in the background.

Had to do some learning about the medium and as it turns out that is really the "catch". It takes approximately 18 hours to reconstute it.

In practical terms, that means we can shoot the gel blocks until they are shot up one time in one day.

So, this is a go. And I believe if we plan well we can test a fairly broad spectrum of ammo, but we need to figure out some . . . I hate to say it . . "ammo protocol" to get the maximum use from it in one day.

Which is hugely better than old fashioned ballistics gel. That stuff is a just plain pain in the butt to use, even once.

But it also means this is more complicated than everyone just getting together and shooting the crap out of it with whatever they get the notion to "test".