Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCGF - Ballistics Testing Event

Grand Pooba

Re: CCGF - Ballistics Testing Event

Having shot a bunch of ballistic gel in the past I can say with a good amount of confidence that shooting ball ammo is a waist of time. It will punch a hole all the way through and keep going. So that eliminates ball. Gold Dot, Ranger Talon, Bonded hydro shock, & Golden Saber all perform about the same. So with that in mind I would suggest we shooting a little of that stuff and maybe some unknowns and hand loads. I have some extreme shocks that were donated by The Gun Vault to test and can bring Gold Dots and Rangers in various calibers. We will need a small table or some plywood and saw horses (maybe better), and a measuring tape and some old denim fabric or mattress ticking. I have the HD video camera.
    Train like your life depends on it, cause it does.

I've got a small table, and sawhorses and plywood. And several pairs of jeans I can no longer get into (it is amazing how jeans shrink over time!).

I also have some unusual hand loads; .38/357 silhouette bullets (brass jacketed, truncated cone, exposed core (lead)). Might be interesting to see how they perform at .38, .38"+P" and .357 velocities.

I'd also love to see the "glaser safety slug" and "extreme shock" ammo performance in real life so we can finally but the hype of that behind us well informed individuals [size=1em]Anyone got some of either? [/size][size=1em]If not, I will acquire some, that is not a problem[/size]
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Grand Pooba

I have the extreme shocks thanks to Ray, also have some Hornady Critical defense, some power ball and some corbon GTX lead free.
    Train like your life depends on it, cause it does.

i have some hst in various calibers.also have some extreme shock 'air marshall' could try.

when is this happening?

[quote author=oneton link=topic=104.msg1722#msg1722 date=1338085789]
    i have some hst in various calibers.also have some extreme shock 'air marshall' could try.

when is this happening?
    [/quote]

It sounds like establishing that is the next step. Lemme talk with JD and get some idea of his window(s) of opportunity.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

I'd like to see Winchester PDX1 in 12ga tested if possible. That's what I load my HD 12ga with, and wouldn't mind some confirmation (or even a slight implication) that it might be better than standard buck or slug loads. I don't know if I'll be able to come to the actual test (depends on the date and time), but I'd be happy to donate a couple rounds to test with.
    Survival comes first, truth, understanding, and science later. (Taleb)

[quote author=Rail Driver link=topic=104.msg1757#msg1757 date=1338163252]
    I'd like to see Winchester PDX1 in 12ga tested if possible. That's what I load my HD 12ga with, and wouldn't mind some confirmation (or even a slight implication) that it might be better than standard buck or slug loads. I don't know if I'll be able to come to the actual test (depends on the date and time), but I'd be happy to donate a couple rounds to test with.
    [/quote]

+1

I'd like to get some results on the PDX1 as well.

I'll cook up some Knoxx if it will help out, just let me know if you need extra gel.

[quote author=Wizard link=topic=104.msg1758#msg1758 date=1338164760]I'll cook up some Knoxx if it will help out, just let me know if you need extra gel.
    [/quote]

Yes, please!

We need a few blocks about 12"x12"x36". If you make three, that should only be about 18,963 boxes of knoxx to get the right consistency according to my calculator. ;D

[quote author=Rumbler link=topic=104.msg1759#msg1759 date=1338165102]
    [quote author=Wizard link=topic=104.msg1758#msg1758 date=1338164760]I'll cook up some Knoxx if it will help out, just let me know if you need extra gel.
    [/quote]

Yes, please!

We need a few blocks about 12"x12"x36". If you make three, that should only be about 18,963 boxes of knoxx to get the right consistency according to my calculator. ;D
    [/quote]

12x12x36 is ~ 30 gallons, and at the ratio of 1lb of Knox per gallon, my calculations boil down to only 1,920 4oz. packets per block.
    Multiplied by 3...5760 4oz packets. I can do that, no problem.

[quote author=Wizard link=topic=104.msg1765#msg1765 date=1338169452]
    12x12x36 is ~ 30 gallons, and at the ratio of 1lb of Knox per gallon, my calculations boil down to only 1,920 4oz. packets per block.
    Multiplied by 3...5760 4oz packets. I can do that, no problem.

[/quote]

http://www.amazon.com/Knox-Original-...uct/B000E1BLT4

48oz = ~$70 plus shipping...
    48oz = 3lb x 10= 480oz (30lbs per block @ 1lb per gallon) = $700 x 3 blocks = $2100

Even with a crazy bulk or distributor discount, unless you get the stuff for free, it's cheaper to donate the cash to buy more of the re-usable stuff at $170 per block

Survival comes first, truth, understanding, and science later. (Taleb)