Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Costs

Graduate

Reloading Costs

I just ran the math on my current loads, which, if you've remembered earlier posts, is the most expensive version of reloading I do.

With a Montana Gold (big in the gun games, but outside of that not many people have heard of them) 180 grain non-expanding JHP, a Winchester primer, and Titegroup powder, I'm getting very accurate loads at .18 per round. I just checked some of the online crawlers and the cheapest stuff I could find comparable was Freedom at .24 per round before shipping (there were cheaper .40 loads, but they were lighter than 180 grains and none lower than .23). My .18 figure includes hazmat on the powder as well as the primers.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone was wondering if it was still cost-effective to reload.

And, I'd put my FMJ reloads against Freedom's plated remanufactured all day long.

I just realized even reloading I spend an ass-ton of money on ammo in a year.

Nice thing about freedom is their free shipping on first order. The UPS man is going to hate me.

When I tried reloading , 1000 of 165gr jhp in .40 cost me just over $180, having got brass free and sourced powder and primers locally.

I was saving $40.00 a case. Factor in ROI on press and it takes 10 cases to pay for it at that rate and thats not counting my time.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    I don't save much hand loading rifle cartridges because I seem to shoot them just as fast as I can make them. I am loading 270 & 7 mag Sierra gamekings for .70 a round. But I did not have to pay for the brass.... So far being able to make a bullet do what I want it to do is well worth the cost.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    Now if I had to factor in all the different powders I went through to get what I wanted, well that's another story...

AB you give RMR a chance? I just ordered another 3K for 9mm.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

Supporting Member
    What's the saying? You don't save any money reloading, you just shoot a lot more.

Graduate
    Some times it seems like a expensive way to save money,
    But being able to load rounds that you can't buy that your rifle really likes is a worthwhile skill set.

About .70 each for match 223/308/6 mm

40 gr of 4064 under a 87 vmax=3426 fps.. that one is a keeper.

A dime for lead 38/9 mm
    13 cents for lead 45

I like being insulated from ammo demands, and enjoy the craft for its own merits.
    Once you get past the, "gee that gizmo would make things easier" stage.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    after 52yrs of reloading I can not stand buying any factory rounds except my Turkey loads for my 20 ga shotgun,22lr
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

What? You're not reloading 22's?
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Graduate
    No , but he's got 50000 In reserve .
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .