Signal 0
Likes Likes:  76
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: things I have learned in a year

Graduate

things I have learned in a year

NOTE: this turned into a derailed off topic thread, after post four.. just trying to save interested parties some time here.
    Otherwise feel free to post anything, as it can't go astray any worse than it has..

Reloading Things I have learned in a year..

The tedious parts of loading for me were the following..
    Media separation
    Case trimming / prep
    Crimp removal
    Charging cases with stick powders to 0.1 gr tolerance.

It took me a year, but I have those where they are not tedious anymore.

It was a buy once cry once, work smarter not harder ,open the wallet up approach that solved them though.

Almost forgot the most important one...
    Imperial wax works good..
    Don't count on always being able to find your prefered components/powders..
    Sometimes they make them in a run, and you will need to stock them when you can find them.
    You can generally find usable subsitutes...maybe..so don't rely on only 1 powder..
    And I still don't like small primer 45 brass..
    Rifle requires more case prep than pistol
    Decap crimped rifle brass with a universal decapper if you value your sizing die stems
    6mm 75-90 gr bullets and cases are made from unicorn tears..unobtanium..
    Small primer 45 brass is like disco..it stiill sucks..

Lee dies work good for me for pistol...
    Rifle I like one of the other green colored ones..

Consistiency is the key..have a process and do everything the same way..

Pistol is easier to start with than rifle.

Loading adds another dimension to the shooting experience..
    Being able to tune loads is a cool thing..

And, there will generally be some other tool or caliber that attracts your attention,
    But you know you are only a set of dies away from commiting to a new caliber.
    Last edited by mapper; December 19th, 2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: grammar nazis and ebonics instructors

Small primer .45ACP brass is the bane of my existence. It is almost as bad as having to get all the .380 brass out of the 9mm brass BEFORE it runs through the press.

Oddly enough, I have never used Imperial. I spray a couple of pumps of spray lube into a quart zip-loc, dump in a couple of dozen rifle cases, zip it closed and . . . shake,shake,shake. Then open the bag, let it sit to evaporate the carrier, and 'poof' the brass is slicker than owl snot without getting any appreciable amount into the inside of the cases at all.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Nice posts. Thanks for sharing.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

Graduate
    Try a couple squirts of hornady one shot case lube on your pistol cases that you size in carbide dies. It will cut the effort to size them to almost nothing . Don't use much just a squirt or two for 2 or 3 hundred cases. You will not believe the deference it makes.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by FLT View Post
    Try a couple squirts of hornady one shot case lube on your pistol cases that you size in carbide dies. It will cut the effort to size them to almost nothing . Don't use much just a squirt or two for 2 or 3 hundred cases. You will not believe the deference it makes.
    Difference*
    "I will not apologize for who I am or what I believe in. I will be my own man. If you want to stand beside me and fight then come on. Just know that I will wait for no one. But, if you join me I will fight until my last breath. I will live and die for each and every person. I may not agree with your lifestyle, but I will love you as my Father in Heaven has commanded. Now, I will not stand for the way us gun owners are treated. So I will prepare."
    -From my own mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Boarhawg52 View Post
    Difference*
    Uh-oh.

I hope Tack hasn't infested you.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Yep,the pygmy strikes again.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Graduate
    Difference*
    Ok . I think I understand the rules now.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Sophomore
    I couldn't see Tack. The grass was too tall. It was mowed 3 days earlier
    "I will not apologize for who I am or what I believe in. I will be my own man. If you want to stand beside me and fight then come on. Just know that I will wait for no one. But, if you join me I will fight until my last breath. I will live and die for each and every person. I may not agree with your lifestyle, but I will love you as my Father in Heaven has commanded. Now, I will not stand for the way us gun owners are treated. So I will prepare."
    -From my own mouth

I couldn't see Tack. The grass was too tall. It was mowed 3 days earlier
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater