Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  64
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Static Electricity ??

Static Electricity ??

Assuming one does not have a handy used dryer sheet . . . or a fancy grounding strap to wear . . . what is your "favorite" way to get rid of static electricity?

I had a really close call in the reloading room today because I had noticed the static electricity buildup and didn't do anything about it. Until I reached for a pan of powder on the scale and saw the spark (looked like a spark plug firing!) that ignited it jump from my finger to the pan.

No shit. That was it for the day, for me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Lotion you ashy bastard.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Copper pipe shoved up your ass and properly grounded?

It hurts less than an explosion.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    Lotion you ashy bastard.
    Thanks for the suggestion. But I am not convinced that putting lotion on all the reloading stuff is a good idea. Wouldn't that make it really difficult to get all the powder out of the scale pan?
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Copper pipe shoved up your ass and properly grounded?

It hurts less than an explosion.
    "The voice of experience". I know it when I hear it. Thanks Dale!

Just one question please; should I put lotion on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    . . . what is your "favorite" way to get rid of static electricity?
    Either of my kids or my wife.

Specifically an ear when i can sneak up on one of them...
    Sent from an Altoids Tin via Morse Code

Craw is right. You guys just can't keep up.

Just one question please; should I put lotion on it?
    I would, but thats a personal decision.

On a serious note, I've heard that fabric softener mixed with water spayed on the floor in the area you are working helps.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I am not convinced that putting lotion on all the reloading stuff is a good idea. Wouldn't that make it really difficult to get all the powder out of the scale pan?
    Put it on your hands dummy.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Put it on your hands dummy.
    What does that do other than give you nice girly hands? Btw, nice girly hands man...

Actually the lotion suggestion is a good idea. Were I work ESD (electrostatic discharge) is a very big deal. We provide our production workers with special ESD lotion. This is used along with grounding straps and ESD monitors. Our benches are grounded, each bench has a ESD resistant mat, special wax for the floors, lab coats, etc..... All it takes is one little spark to ruin a circuit board.