Likes Likes:  37
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Yep,Tack driver you finially got it right about the 9mm,that proves even pygmys can be educated.
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    It was a joke about how weak of a round the 9mm is on the internet, Seadog.

If it was just on the internet it would be worth dismissing. But it is not. Not even close.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    If it was just on the internet it would be worth dismissing. But it is not. Not even close.
    It's stopped gunfights and killed motherfuckers everywhere but here.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Graduate
    Tack,
    While 38 special is a weak round to some, there is a lot of case capacity...so a double or triple charge of powder is not out of the realm of possibility.....

The merits of the caliber should be discussed in places other than the reloading section, as some may actually think that you have real knowledge in this area. It is better to be kept a bullshit free zone, as it is serious. There is enough areas of the forum for you to play in, that opinions wont cause any any damage other than hard feelings.
    This isn't one of them though.

You did see the link that I sent you about someone loading pistol powder in a rifle case, he will be lucky to have use of his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Tack,
    While 38 special is a weak round to some, there is a lot of case capacity...so a double or triple charge of powder is not out of the realm of possibility.....

The merits of the caliber should be discussed in places other than the reloading section, as some may actually think that you have real knowledge in this area. It is better to be kept a bullshit free zone, as it is serious. There is enough areas of the forum for you to play in, that opinions wont cause any any damage other than hard feelings.
    This isn't one of them though.

You did see the link that I sent you about someone loading pistol powder in a rifle case, he will be lucky to have use of his hand.
    1. I understand your point. I put a disclaimer on my post for the humor impaired.

2. Thanks for the advice and the link. Only an idiot would not see that reloading can be dangerous.

3. I'll "play" where I want.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. mike View Post
    Rumbler any idea why in most of the loads I can find all the plated and lead loads call for powders like accurate #.... V-3N37, R silhouette, ect but the jacketed loads have all the Autocomo, blue/green/red dots, titegroup, universal, 7625. Ect. Is it the burn temperatures or something, I just run what I brung and Im down to my limited supply of sr4756 but Ive been able to kind of wing it and have loads that worked great with everything from 115 9mm, 135 and 180 .40s, to 230 ball for .45

I wish I had a way of testing my theory, I would love to.

But I believe that it is a combination of burn rate and pressure.

Remember that smokeless powder does not "explode" when ignited, it changes from a solid to a gas. So there are actually two factors to be considered in that process; the speed at which the conversion occurs, and the volume of gas created.

A "fast" powder may very well convert to gas very quickly, but not create the volume of gas necessary to propel a bullet at very high velocity. The net effect being; lots of heat and a slow(er) moving bullet - obviously.

. . . but just when one says "dang! That makes sense!" Rumbler says; hey there are fast powders out there that make a LOT of gas, and there are "slow" powders that make a little gas and some that make a lot of gas.

Bottom line is that a jacketed or coated bullet tolerates heat and pressure better than a "raw" lead bullet because of that coating - be it copper, brass, or some synthetic hi-tech chemical.

Thus lead bullets tend to like powders that have a slower solid to gas conversion rate so the bullet can get farther down the barrel - away from the heat caused by conversion. But is it also worth considering a very fast powder that produces a lower volume of gas - and I am sure you are seeing why: once the conversion process has occurred the heat generated has peaked - it is not going to continue to rise. Even raw lead can take surprisingly high extremely short duration heat.

Selecting - wisely and safely - the best power to use for a given barrel length and bullet weight is where the art in reloading is to be found. It is my seldom humble opinion that only time and experimentation creates reloading artist.

. . oh, and some "luck" can be handy to have too.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    It's stopped gunfights and killed motherfuckers everywhere but here.
    As have darkness, snow storms, rock slides, mud slides, hurricanes, and tsunamis.

But one does not find wise folks carrying them for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    As have darkness, snow storms, rock slides, mud slides, hurricanes, and tsunamis.

But one does not find wise folks carrying them for self defense.
    Okay, that's actually clever.

Thanks!

I'm loading 9mm with 115gr plated fp and sr 4756 4.9gr powder and it is not cycling in a glock 26.
    Is the top end of the scale 5.2 or higher? Or should I shorten the oal with flat point 9 mm below 1.07"? RIA 5" cycles fine