Likes Likes:  47
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .308 vs .300WM

.308 vs .300WM

Trying to see if there's a huge difference between the availability of loading components for these two calibers. I understand all reloading stuff is currently hard to get, but is there a reason I should let availability for these two determine a build in either platform.

Graduate
    I load for both and don't see much if any deference . I can't always get just what I want in powder but can usually find some that will work. Any more when I find what I'm looking for in the way of powder I buy all I can afford. Powder Valley is where I'm getting most of my reloading supplies these days if you order 10 or more pounds at the time its not price prohibitive even with the hazmat fee.
    Last edited by FLT; November 7th, 2014 at 11:36 AM.
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Thanks for the info, although I'm pretty sure if I order 10 or more pounds of gunpowder a drone strike will follow shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
    Thanks for the info, although I'm pretty sure if I order 10 or more pounds of gunpowder a drone strike will follow shortly.
    The question is, will they wait for the powder to be delivered or not. It would be a better show after, but they run the risk of you burying it all before then.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Powder, primers, bullets the same. Brass is going to be more expensive for 300WM, but you won't be exposed to milsurp 305/7.62x51 machine gun brass. I have some of that and you will get an occasionally case head split/separation with that brass. Makes range time interesting.
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Quote Originally Posted by JMW4570 View Post
    Powder, primers, bullets the same. Brass is going to be more expensive for 300WM, but you won't be exposed to milsurp 305/7.62x51 machine gun brass. I have some of that and you will get an occasionally case head split/separation with that brass. Makes range time interesting.

Exactly!
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

J, I was thinking about this more. In the recent past you mentioned the desire for a 'general purpose arm that could serve plausibly as a scout type rifle', paraphrasing obviously.

And it occurred to me that in order for the 300 winchester magnum to offer any significant ballistic advantage over the 7.62x51 or .308 cartridge at distance the 300 is going to need a longer barrel. There may be folks here who have researched the 300 more than I have but a little cursory math seems to indicate a minimum length of 26-28 inches will be needed. Less than that and you are pretty much getting slammed in the shoulder just to make a big muzzle flash.

Well . . you know; unless you are up for getting your shoulder badly abused while I do some load development for you.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    Here is some brass...
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=451680983

I won a auction for other brass,from him, and and in the process of completing it..
    So I can't give feedback..

300 WM-75.5 gr of IMR 4350 pushing a 168 gr SMKBT works just dandy.
    Annealing the brass after a few shots helps to keep the splitting of the cases in check.
    Just keep a look out for pressure signs like a bright ring above the belt.
    Last edited by seadog; November 7th, 2014 at 06:46 PM.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" -Plato