Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm plated bullets?

9mm plated bullets?

Got some berry's 115 gr plated round nose bullets to load up. I found a green dot recipe for 4.7 grs for a 115 FMJ for a velocity of 1150 in what I assumed to be a 4" barrel. According to berrys their plated bullets will give 5-8% increase in velocity over the same powder charge for given bullet weight. Ill be shooting these out of a 5" PT92 (same as a beretta 92fs/M9) so im assuming the bullet is going to gain another 50-75 fps with the longer barrel.
    So with a max of 4.7 and 115 fmj ~ 1150 FPS
    plus 8% increase of the plated bullet ~ 1242 FPS
    then any increase from the longer barrel 50-75 FPS they would be hitting over 1300 FPS

I had some problems with .40 having hot loads randomly veer off in crazy directions and had horrible accuracy but anybody tried these in 9mm.

Ive loaded about 50 up using 4.5 which was about half way between min and max with the green dot but id like these to be pretty hot to simulate the +p that I run in the gun.

Captain, you are pushing the envelope on those bullets. Not that I am finding any fault in doing that for 'practice' ammo.

Barrys says . . .

We guarantee our Standard Bullets to handle velocities up to 1,250 fps, and up to 1,500 fps for the bullets designated as TP (thick plated).
    I admit that seeing one pistol shot make a bunch of little holes in paper definitely has a fun factor . . . .
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    Some plated bullets are extremely sensitive to the crimping process. I experienced it with my .40 and I stopped shooting plated altogether because I could never resolve it to my satisfaction. The problem I was having seemed to be the plating was shedding causing weird aerodynamics, leading to unpredictable results downrange.

The best I ever got them to behave was by using a chamber check guide and only putting enough taper crimp on the round so it would enter the chamber check smoothly. Still wasn't a 100% fix, so I went to moly coated bullets.

I'm telling you guys; Gator Snot is where its at.

http://www.bayoubullets.net

I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    That's exactly the brand I use.

I've liked them so much I'm planning on abandoning my practice of shooting jacketed for matches and lead for practice and shooting the more-expensive-than-lead-but-cheaper-than-jacketed bullets full time. The time I save working up and chronoing new loads each match make the cost worth it.

I figured if 4.7 with a fmj does 1150 dropping down to 4.5 grs should keep it under the 1250 mark and with such a fast powder the extra inch on the barrel shouldn't add as much extra velocity as others I use like autocomp and sr4756. I wouldn't even flirt with any type of crimp but I don't see the need for it either. I really need a chronograph. I do wonder if they guarantee them to 1250 I wonder how hard you could run them before they start to come apart.

Thats about what I paid for the plated loacally, how hot can you load those bayou bullets?

Graduate
    Don't know the top end. I keep my .40's around 950 and I don't have problems.

Also, I tried Green Dot for a while back in 2000-2001, but I got wildly inconsistent velocities shot to shot. Nothing I did settled it down so I quit using it after 2 lbs.

To get anything consistent with green dot, especially with small charges in the 4-5 gr range you have to hand weigh each charge. The flakey powder just doesn't meter well and will vary .1-.2 grains if you don't keep an eye on it but for pistol bullets consistency isn't a huge concern. I just really like it because I can use it for just about anything and use half the powder of some others I use.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Don't know the top end. I keep my .40's around 950 and I don't have problems.

Also, I tried Green Dot for a while back in 2000-2001, but I got wildly inconsistent velocities shot to shot. Nothing I did settled it down so I quit using it after 2 lbs.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. mike View Post
    ... but for pistol bullets consistency isn't a huge concern
    It is for me because I have to submit my ammo to a chronograph at every major match. Also, if the recoil impulse is inconsistent it keeps me from accurately "timing" the gun/recoil/return to battery/trigger press that is crucial for shooting fast and a 50-70 fps difference is one I can feel.

Admittedly if I was shooting under different circumstances than that I might have been willing to press ahead, but I needed it to meter well and shoot consistently.