Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm plated bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. mike View Post
    Thats about what I paid for the plated loacally, how hot can you load those bayou bullets?

I'm loading the 147gr truncated cone like they were 115gr round nose*.

That is pretty darned hot.

And I have to say that with many tens of thousands of them down the pipe on the Glock class guns not a single one of them have had any lead buildup that could be seen by eye. . . and yes, they do get cleaned. At least every few thousand rounds.

* - remember that I am loading for a completely different purpose - to simulate full house defensive ammo, as hot as it can be bought.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Rumbler thats what im going for

I imagine the cost per round would be cheaper wouldnt take much powder for those heavy bullets

OK. As it is applicable then I'll let my recipes out of the bag . . .

5.4gr of AA #5, 147gr TC gator snot bullets.

Problem with that powder is availability. I ordered 16 pounds LAST November. Two weeks ago the distributor called to tell me the order was ready to ship if I still wanted it.

So . . . I started experimenting again. And I found something I like even better; IMR SR7625. It is cheaper, more available (at least through our distributor), provides a "just right" case fill, no excessive muzzle flash (there is a little), and is fine like salt or sugar so it meters excellently through our Dillon powder drops.

I am loading 5.0gr of SR7625 under the same bullets and getting ~1200 FPS out of a Glock 17. That actually makes major in most classes of IPSC and USPSA.

And I know the instructors like it because whenever they need some 9mm, they come "swipe" a couple of handfuls out of the class ammo can.

** Standard disclaimer here for working up to these loads carefully in YOUR gun - its safe limit may be different **
    Last edited by Rumbler; October 29th, 2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Fixed powder name
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

147 at 1200 makes me a happy camper

Did you mean sr7625 by any chance

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. mike View Post
    Did you mean sr7625 by any chance
    Holeeeee Chit! Yes, yes, yes.

. . old age sux. I did however reference actual written notes for the charge weight. Honest.

Ok ill have to try it out, 7625 is a powder ive seen before, with the TC bullets what depth were you seating them to?

Ive got a lb of blue dot can you think of any of your fun recipes I could use that with?

Don't have the COAL in this set of notes. But I wrote myself a note just now to check when I go to the reloading trailer tomorrow morning.

For some reason - I guess mostly because when I think of "_____ dot" I think of dirty - I have not experimented at all with any of those powders, blue, red, green, none of them.