Signal 0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those of you who tumble or vibrate your brass.

One other question..

Do you guys do any pre-cleaning of your brass, like a 5 gallon bucket and some warm water to get the sand and shit out?
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    I have a purpose built wire mesh screen in a wooden frame I throw them in and swirl them around with a broom. I prop one side up with a piece of 4x4 and the angle really helps shake it loose.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I would have the exact setup I have now, no changes. This is because I'm on my second or third evolution of the brass cleaning process at this point and have learned from my mistakes.
    Maybe a second business for you would be cleaning other folks brass?

I've read sever folks use this for tumbling brass.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-4-q...html?hftref=cj
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Maybe a second business for you would be cleaning other folks brass?

I've read sever folks use this for tumbling brass.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-4-q...html?hftref=cj
    I've heard of it, but I'd want to see that in person before trying it myself.

I have a purpose built wire mesh screen in a wooden frame I throw them in and swirl them around with a broom. I prop one side up with a piece of 4x4 and the angle really helps shake it loose.
    This be sure get a media separator or build one. It makes it a whole lot easier.
    You can use a colander (just not the wife's), but it takes a long time and you wind up having to shake them out individually anyway.
    Putting the Harm in Pharmacist

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    This be sure get a media separator or build one. It makes it a whole lot easier.
    You can use a colander (just not the wife's), but it takes a long time and you wind up having to shake them out individually anyway.
    I have three media separators (two dry, one for wet), but I don't like to get sand in them so I have the mesh screen for the initial "knock the dirt off" operation.

I've really been thinking about the Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler.

Its not going to do a huge amount of brass at one time. It will do 1k of 9mm, which is plenty for me at a time since its small and easy to store.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/27279

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I've really been thinking about the Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler.

Its not going to do a huge amount of brass at one time. It will do 1k of 9mm, which is plenty for me at a time since its small and easy to store.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/27279
    I think I posted about that before. As long as it can last, it handles more weight than the one I have and if that one had been available when I was buying I would have probably gotten it. I still don't like the time it takes to dry so wet tumbling will never be my primary cleaning method. For fast drying, I have put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200 until dry, but it's not my preference.

For fast drying, I have put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200 until dry, but it's not my preference.
    I do that to dry my brass now, or I put it in the dryer on whats called a sweater rack, wrapped in a towel.

Those of you who load 9mm.

Do you check and remove the crimp on 9mm brass, or do you just hope for the best?