Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those of you who tumble or vibrate your brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Ok. Depends.. On what?

Bulk ammo; no.
    "Match" ammo;yes.

Why is because consistency = accuracy. Burnt primer residue buildup is inconsistent.

Maybe that is taking it to a ridiculous degree, but I do know that the more consistent my ammo is the fewer excuses I have for missing. I hate missing.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Graduate
    Do you end up with water in the primer pockets?
    Yes, but it dries out eventually. I only do the SS tumble when I first bring the brass out of storage and it's all tarnished and dirty, and usually that's way in advance of actually needing it. Once the initial wet tumble is complete, I use corn cob in a vibratory cleaner so I don't have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I've learned that having a cracked case will make a unique sound when "jingled" with other brass. If I hear that sound as I'm transferring cases from the sieve into the case feeder I stop and inspect.
    Hornady .308 cases, good ones, make a distinct sound when mixed in with Federal...
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

Quote Originally Posted by Airgator0470 View Post
    Both ways... depends.
    Ok. Depends.. On what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikec2003 View Post
    Stuff
    And shit.......................

Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks your life seeks my life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.” – Toussaint L’Ouverture

I tumble - then deprime.

Media tends to get caught in the primer hole.

I do not do precision loads however.

I also stopped cleaning the primer pocket.

Graduate
    Tumble with primers in..
    Pistol pockets not cleaned, rifle are..

Thanks.

I currently do not tumble or vibrate. I use ultrasonic.

Its wonderful for hunting or precision loads, working with just a few (less than a 100) cases at a time. But for 9mm I need to ramp up production.

If you were starting over, would you go with a tumbler or a (god I hate to write this) vibrator?
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

I tumble .556 primer in but for the .50 primer out. I ream the .50 primer Pocket to .318 then come in through the case mouth with a flash hole reamer to form a uniform flash hole.
    The .50 cases take a lot of time getting them just right and as consistent as humanly possible.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I tumble .556 primer in but for the .50 primer out. I ream the .50 primer Pocket to .318 then come in through the case mouth with a flash hole reamer to form a uniform flash hole.
    The .50 cases take a lot of time getting them just right and as consistent as humanly possible.
    I'm not worthy of .50..

Thanks for the info.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    I would have the exact setup I have now, no changes. This is because I'm on my second or third evolution of the brass cleaning process at this point and have learned from my mistakes.

The first mistake I made was not going big early. The price tag on the huge vibratory case cleaner put me off at first, and then I ended up buying it after buying one that turned out to be too small. I love the stainless steel tumbler (the ultrasonic might do the same thing) for initial cleaning, and I have bought the biggest one on the market at the time I could reasonably afford. There's the one I have, and at the time the next available model was a commercial setup with ~$1,000 price.

Get one of the big vibratory cleaners that takes walnut or corn cob media.