Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Loading 5.56 for short barrel

The 77s are going to be the most consistant performers on impact at slower speeds. There is no comparison with 55gr, even as good a projectile as the TSX.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Yeah I'm going full retard on the 77s

So, hate to be the guy that drags up the corpse of a thread, but did you ever get around to running those 77s through a chrono? Trying to get an idea of how I should reload for a 12" barrel ar15 to try and keep as much energy on the round as I can, considering the velocity loss of the shorter barrel.

12" actually isn't that bad. M193 should hit the fragmentation threshold out of a 12 although not very far out. 75-77gr will do well whatever the barrel length

I never got a chance to chrono any of mine but the first batch felt more like i was shooting 20ga slugs than .223 so I backed down a hair but Ive got a mag full im wanting to try out on a chrono and see what they are doing

Awesome. Thanks for the update.
    Had to back it down, Ehhhh? Hrrrmmm. They were thumping you that hard, huh? We need to gel some of these fuckers and see what they do in a flesh like medium.

Keeping in mind that I havent loaded this yet.

I am working with a buddy of mine who is a very experienced reloader. I am gathering the pieces for an MK262 mod1 clone round.

Lake City Brass
    CCI #41 primers (for 5.56)
    I just bought 1000 of the 75 gr bullets from dale because I could not find 77gr Sierra OTM to fit my budget, so I lose 2gr in weight there.
    Powder : XBR 8208 it's temp stable and many 10.5 shooters have good luck with it.

I will be shooting it out of my DD MK18 upper 10.5 inch 1/7 and I will push it close to max. Cant say what that will be but will publish when its done.
    I have to get some more powder and a few more primers to make the road trip to my buddys house/range an all day load, chrono, load day and hope to come home with 1000.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Shit yeah, keep me posted on that. I'd like to know how those preform aswell.

Emoney.. will do. Have not forgotten about you,ben out of pocket for a couple weeks. You will have something inbound in the near future.
    "Rule #1: Be a f-ing Warrior, every f-ing day, in every f-ing thing you do. Be a f-ing Warrior!

Rule #2: Support your men.

Rule #3: TEAMWORK! Team dynamics are absolutely important. Know your men and support them in every way."

Awesome sauce

I know how it is to be strapped for funds all to well.