Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Another Plate Buy

I would get at least a pair of front/back plates this go around.
    "If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies then every method of protecting ourselves is morally right" -- Cicero

"Governor, I haven't let another man touch my gun since 1861."

The come with line-x regardless from AR500.com.

And after shooting steel that was not protected at all, I will use Line-x and I am thinking about a kevlar envelope as well.

I believe their are several online story's and pics of US Soldiers who had magazines shot and the armor still saved them. The fragments of a FMJ round hitting your neck seems deadly if allowed to occur.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

All the order options from ar and from your price list show the Line-X ones as different models and price, correct?

The all have line X base coat. You can pay extra for the line-x Build up (thicker coat of line-x).

Except it isn't line-x, its a line-x coating called Paxcon, supposedly used by the .mil.

http://www.linex.com/pages/2010/military/
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    The all have line X base coat. You can pay extra for the line-x Build up (thicker coat of line-x).

Except it isn't line-x, its a line-x coating called Paxcon, supposedly used by the .mil.

http://www.linex.com/pages/2010/military/
    Thoughts on this upgrade? I was thinking of getting the more expensive plates because I didn't think the cheaper ones had the line x coating. But now that I know they all do, I don't know if I care about the extra line x and I'm now thinking of staying with the cheaper option.

Yeah, same here.

I INTENDED to go with a build-up front, and none on the back and sides. I ended up with build-up front and back.

If you're a DIY kinda guy, I wonder how well, the roll on truck bed liner stuff would work, or if a dense rubber pad over it wouldn't be better.

Anybody pad the back of their plates?
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    I INTENDED to go with a build-up front, and none on the back and sides. I ended up with build-up front and back.

If you're a DIY kinda guy, I wonder how well, the roll on truck bed liner stuff would work, or if a dense rubber pad over it wouldn't be better.

Anybody pad the back of their plates?
    That is the exact configuration I was thinking I would do (upgrade front plate only) if I did any upgrade. What made you change your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by surfer5 View Post
    That is the exact configuration I was thinking I would do (upgrade front plate only) if I did any upgrade. What made you change your mind?
    It was changed for me.

I think you've got it figured out. That's how BR ordered his and it got me to thinking. I don't really see how spalling can get you off the back plate. I might try a DIY buildup on my side plates though. The thought of getting hit in one of those is terrifying.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Does your head extend even with or beyond the back plate? The fragments travel at 90 degrees and more.

Roll on bed liner had been tried. It can work. For $60 or 70 bucks however it sure doesn't seem worth the hassle or risk.

I don't think a rubber pad will help, but for it to help it would have to be glued to the plate somehow.