Signal 0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give me a good reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Can't do precision .308 on a progressive, AB.

I know YF has that in mind. I just don't think he has considered yet that he can reload his pistol ammo for about twenty cents on the dollar with a progressive.

So come heck or high water he is going to wind up with both. He may just not realize it yet.
    Yup....agree with all that is said above.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

Graduate
    <----Not a rifle guy!

I don't know what kind of rifle precision a progressive is capable of, but I agree most reloaders end up with both!

TS, I reload because I can't afford to shoot factory in the volume I do. If I were you, I'd stick with factory for now and think about reloading only if you had a specific need.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    David, do not do that. Do not start reloading your own ammo. You WILL kill yourself (at a minimum).

note to self:
    chose the shooting position as far away from TS as possible, if he is shooting his handloads.
    a county or 2 seems a safe distance.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    note to self:
    chose the shooting position as far away from TS as possible, if he is shooting his handloads.
    a county or 2 seems a safe distance.
    Wait.........didn't I give him slack on reloading because............at the direction of.....................yeah, what happened there?
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

CCGF Head of Ambushes
    Yankee, I have been using a rcbs rocker chucker for over 40 yrs,it is one of the best.I think that is a hellave good buy.I would not recommend any one start reloading on a progressive until they have reloaded for a while to get the basics down>Yes dillion makes good equip. also ,had one sold one!
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Precise, carefully handcrafted, finely tuned, extremely accurate ammunition... single stage is the way to go.

Cheaper, bulk, adequate, functionally accurate ammunition... progressive is the way to go.

I do both on a Rock Chucker and have done so for a long time.

AB is more likely correct in projecting that many reloaders end up with both over time.

Neither is a waste of money as far as getting one before the other as they both are application specific in my opinion. The single stage first route lets one get firmly acquainted to the processes of ammunition manufacturing.

If I could ONLY get one, I'd get a single stage.
    Signal-0 Productions Firearms Training... for the working man.

A single stage is a very important tool. However don't overlook a turret press, which can be run as a single stage.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    A single stage is a very important tool. However don't overlook a turret press, which can be run as a single stage.

or self indexing when you have a good grasp of the processes..

a lot to be said for the die being directly over the center of the ram....especially in sizing operations
    rifle I will run in single stage mode, manually turning the turret from charge to seating die..with prepped brass.
    or do multiple operations on the same case..all about options for me.

pistol, i will run in indexing mode and pull the lever 3-4 times for a complete round.

but that is what makes it interesting..there are a lot of ways to get there.
    and none of them wrong. they all have their benefits.

this was a acceptable compromise for me.. (cost, precision, speed, caliber swaps, single stage use, etc..)
    every one is diffrent.

but all this is off topic anyway.. op was about a single stage press, which always serves a need on a bench for something..and makes great precise ammo.. and no matter which one, you need to understand what is happening in each process.
    Last edited by mapper; May 31st, 2014 at 03:17 PM.

Graduate
    It's basically what I bought in 1974, and still use today. It'll be a functioning family heirloom someday.

Freshman
    Yankee. The same kit is cheaper here:
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...Reloading_Kit_