Talon Training Group
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 460 S&W Magnum Reloading

I'm not sure how I feel about a Chinese guy that named his revolver "Mao".
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Father of Our Revolution, Samuel Adams.

I may be found dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

"Sure you can trust our government. Just ask an Indian."

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

We have any insurance agents on the forum? I'd like to see about buying a life insurance policy on an acquaintance of mine with me as the beneficiary.

CCGF Driving Instructor TargetShooting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about a Chinese guy that named his revolver "Mao".
    Mao? Evil or Hero, VIII.

But since you're this sensitive, don't go to Vietnamese restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Mideast Restaurants, Russian restaurants, Japanese restaurants, German restaurants, Italian restaurants, African restaurants, French restaurants...

Truth be told, I am dieting on BBQ and Seafood everyday. Last time I ate a full slab of ribs it was at 1:00AM this morning.
    Last edited by TargetShooting; May 17th, 2014 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    " . . . . 454 casull ammo if lighter loads are desired"

See what I mean? Crazy. That is my kinda wheelgun!
    " smilieid="16" class="inlineimg">
    Shot some .45 Long Colt, not much recoil felt. The 300 Federal once kicked hard.
    BAILOUT TARGETSHOOTING!

Graduate
    When he starts asking questions about diffrences in press types, scale types, powder burn rates, why some manuals have pressure listed and others don't, as well as powder choices, brass choices, cast vs plated vs powder coated vs jacketed and diffrences between magnum primers and standard primers, he will have searched some info out and realized that the education is just beginning.

I won't discourage anyone who wants to load, but will tell them that they need to search out as much info as possible and have a idea of what they want to load for and the amount of ammo they will go through before making a choice on what equipment to look at.

Kind of like a dog training book I read years ago.. it was easier to start with the finished result of what you wanted, first. Then explain what the steps are to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    When he starts asking questions about diffrences in press types, scale types, powder burn rates, why some manuals have pressure listed and others don't, as well as powder choices, brass choices, cast vs plated vs powder coated vs jacketed and diffrences between magnum primers and standard primers, he will have searched some info out and realized that the education is just beginning.

I won't discourage anyone who wants to load, but will tell them that they need to search out as much info as possible and have a idea of what they want to load for and the amount of ammo they will go through before making a choice on what equipment to look at.

Kind of like a dog training book I read years ago.. it was easier to start with the finished result of what you wanted, first. Then explain what the steps are to get there.
    With a couple shit stirring posers I am not sure I'd post anything any more.
    To me it's all about Pro 2A and promote it through my learning curve, but not anyone sees it that way.

Anyhow, mapper. When I start to reload and if still plan to ask questions, we better change reload-section from PUBLIC to PRIVATE. Know what I mean?
    BAILOUT TARGETSHOOTING!

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by TargetShooting View Post
    Shot some .45 Long Colt, not much recoil felt. The 300 Federal once kicked hard.
    Cowboy loads are about 750 fps and are mild, the + p are 1200 fps and 260 gr, I have seen some that approach 44 mag territory...
    Then you can step up to casull..
    If not enough you can go to 460..

The idea being you can make them what you want if you load..

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by TargetShooting View Post
    With a couple shit stirring posers I am not sure I'd post anything any more.
    To me it's all about Pro 2A and promote it through my learning curve, but not anyone sees it that way.

Anyhow, mapper. When I start to reload and if still plan to ask questions, we change reload-section from PUBLIC to PRIVATE. Know what I mean?
    Still won't stop the turd stirrers, but will keep the guests from looking at dirty laundry.
    Besides serious questions about a serious topic that requires research may change the outlook of some.
    I have tried to keep this thread serious and on topic, as reloading is no place for mistakes.

Still have to get through the " if" and " when" stage, but if I can answer questions I will.
    Last edited by mapper; May 17th, 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Still won't stop the turd stirrers, but will keep the guests from looking at dirty laundry.
    Besides serious questions about a serious topic that requires research may change the outlook of some.
    I have tried to keep this thread serious and on topic, as reloading is no place for mistakes.

Still have to get through the " if" and " when" stage, but if I can answer questions I will.
    Brace yourself Mapper, I am "A million Questions". lol
    BAILOUT TARGETSHOOTING!

Graduate
    Start here
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171
    Another good one
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545957
    Yet another..
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542360
    And another..
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538504
    Another..
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536758

Get the books
    abc's of reloading
    Modern reloading by richard lee
    Lyman reloading manual 49 the edition

Read them.. the abc's does not have any load data in it but good info on the process.
    Lyman and lee have good info on process as well as load data
    Then you can start looking at powders listed and see that with some thought you can use a minimum of powders for a wide variety of loads...some are better suited than others..

That is enough to keep you busy for a while..

Everyone you ask a question about a brand of press or dies will tell you their favorite..
    The idea at this point is to understand about the diffrences between the types..not necessarily the brands..don't get lost in that...yet

Still think concepts...get through that first.

Come back and ask questions after doing the above
    Last edited by mapper; May 17th, 2014 at 09:38 PM.