Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowling pin match for rifles

CCGF Head of Ambushes

Bowling pin match for rifles

Fellows I was at Talon this morning an Rumbler was testing out the 223,300 blackout against the pins at 100yrds,the poddle shooter does not have enough balls to knock over the pins shooting fmj,they did not wiggle shot three times.The 300 blackout knocked the crap out of it.Rumbler will be filling ya'll in after he has completely finished.The pin took three solid hits from the 23 but did not turnover!
    (nam era) yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

It is true. I had to "head shoot" the pin at 100 yards with the poodle shooter (5.56 NATO 55gr FMJ) to get it to fall over. And that is all it did; fall over.

Good luck head shooting a bowling pin at 100 yards from an unsupported standing position - I used a table and a rest to make the shot.

Working on a plan "B" right now though. So you guys shooting those girly guns won't have to get smacked upside the head by reality.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

CCGF Diplomatic Ambassador
    I think center mass with 180gr 30-06 should work pretty good.

I agree. How ever during the group discussion this testing was dictated and at least tentatively the caliber limits were set at "30 caliber SUBsonic".

The 230gr Berger hybrids at about 1050FPS out of the .300 blackout kicked the snot out of the pin. That is a definite winner for bowling pins.

But at least until the light comes on over their heads waaay more folks shoot the centerfire .22. And don't get me wrong; I have one of those also and no real plans to part with it. I need to be able to pickup and use battlefield ammo.

-AND-

I proved that with finite precision shooting; the 5.56 is capable of getting the job done. Eventually.

So I'm just reporting results. In fact; I intentionally left both pins at the pro shop so folks can look at them and make their own judgement without me breathing down their neck.

Oh, and both the pins were "new". They are not the "two pounds heavier because of all the bullets in their belly" pins we plan to use for the actual match.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Some of us were asking that some testing be done to verify the agreements we made at the last match. Thanks to those who did the testing. Given the results of the testing, I'd suggest this needs some more discussion based on new information available. If people aren't going to be knock them off with a reasonable effort using a standard load, its not going to have much appeal. Jim
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Well said Jim.
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

I concur completely.

So you know what I am thinking, right?

Whacking a bunch of used pins off at the stripes to create "pin heads", set them out a ways, and shoot them with rimfire 22's.

. . I think it may have been you (Jim) that suggested that originally. We have a bunch of identical iron sighted 22LR bolt guns . . . . . . . anyway, I am logistics. You guys are the brains - figger out what you'ns want to do and I'll do what I can to make it happen.

CCGF Driving Instructor TargetShooting's Avatar
    If y'all want to do .308, I'll be game too.

We have a rimfire .22 that will fit you David.

Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    We have a rimfire .22 that will fit you David.
    No Shit . Mike you actually have a rifle with a side ways trigger guard ?
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .