Tallahassee Indoor Shooting Range
Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowling pin match for rifles

Rim fire works for me. I shoot it a lot since it is cheap.
    Yo Tony, Do me a kindness. - Winnebago Man

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

"We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their living goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun cocksuckers by the bushel-fucking-basket. War is a bloody, killing business. You've got to spill their blood, or they will spill yours." - George S. Patton

Mike, We used to shoot rifle poker. Used a deck of cards. Different cards set at different distances. The one to reach 21 with like 4 shots won. 22 or higher and you were dq'd Progressive till one man was left standing.

Something like that. I'm sure GOOGLE can find the rules.

What about a heavier 5.56 bullet? Do you think 69 or 77gr would work better than 55gr?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    I concur completely.

So you know what I am thinking, right?

Whacking a bunch of used pins off at the stripes to create "pin heads", set them out a ways, and shoot them with rimfire 22's.
    sounds like a plan.
    Weapon of Choice: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator bolted to a crappy old T53 stock

Quote Originally Posted by FLT View Post
    No Shit . Mike you actually have a rifle with a side ways trigger guard ?
    No. But thanks to the generosity of a shareholder, we do have a "Cricket".
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by simmoag View Post
    What about a heavier 5.56 bullet? Do you think 69 or 77gr would work better than 55gr?
    Frankly, I am puzzled by the result I got. I did not expect the pin to fall over, but I DID expect pass through. That didn't happen except on the "head shot" and the bullet appears to still be right below the pin's skin opposite the "entry wound".

So . . . where did the energy go? I've read the energy numbers on the 55gr NATO cartridge a thousand times; it should have been carrying enough energy that if the bullet did stop inside the 'belly' of the pin, the dagum pin should have at least fallen over.

So . . to be perfectly honest, I have no idea if a heavier bullet - that is still very light - would be significantly different. My instinct tells me a heavier hunting type bullet should knock the snot out of the thing . . but at this point I can't bet on it. I wish I was smarter, I'd really like to know how the result I got is even possible . . . .

Again, anyone who wants to is welcome to come in the pro shop and look at the pin(s). If someone can come up with a theory, I am 110% interested in hearing it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good, but I'd rather KNOW I'm good than HOPE to get lucky.

Freshman
    What about trying the plastic toy bowling pins? Should be cheaper than regular pins and easier than trying to cut down pins. Might be worth testing as the bullet might zip right through. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Frankly, I am puzzled by the result I got. I did not expect the pin to fall over, but I DID expect pass through. That didn't happen except on the "head shot" and the bullet appears to still be right below the pin's skin opposite the "entry wound".

So . . . where did the energy go? I've read the energy numbers on the 55gr NATO cartridge a thousand times; it should have been carrying enough energy that if the bullet did stop inside the 'belly' of the pin, the dagum pin should have at least fallen over.

So . . to be perfectly honest, I have no idea if a heavier bullet - that is still very light - would be significantly different. My instinct tells me a heavier hunting type bullet should knock the snot out of the thing . . but at this point I can't bet on it. I wish I was smarter, I'd really like to know how the result I got is even possible . . . .

Again, anyone who wants to is welcome to come in the pro shop and look at the pin(s). If someone can come up with a theory, I am 110% interested in hearing it.
    Are you CERTAIN you hit it?
    You gonna bark all day little doggy or you gonna bite?

Somehow shooting plastic bowling pins with a poodle shooter seems weirdly ironic to me. Pretty darned funny too!

Anyway, we are shooting donated pins so they don't cost anything. Cutting them off . . . . for a guy who has a knack for destroying stuff as I do . . is pure pleasure.

Besides, we could always have a "grown ups only" night where the minimum caliber is .30.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFingergasm View Post
    Are you CERTAIN you hit it?

Only after I went down there after three shots and inspected the pin. Closely. I readily admit that I thought I had missed despite having just brought my zero to 100 well enough to put three rounds ON THE X immediately prior to engaging it.