Signal 0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 22 K-hornet Load Data

Freshman

22 K-hornet Load Data

Recently converted my hornet to a k-hornet. Not many K-Hornets around but I'll ask it anyways.

Anyone got load data for 22 K-hornet? I have a few but would like have a few other options.

Graduate

Re: 22 K-hornet Load Data

K hornets are a little rare around here. Who did the rechambering if you don't mind my asking?
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Freshman

Sorry for the delayed response. A really good friend of mine out west did the reaming. He's a long time gunsmith.

I believe the guy on the west side of town has the skill to do it, just not sure if he has the reamer. Forgot the guys name but his shop in on Cap. Cir. NW near Uncle Bob's storage. He's a good guy.

Can you still shoot standard 22 Hornet rounds in a rifle rechambered to K Hornet?

Graduate

Yes you can . It's one of the few Wildcats that can still use factory ammo .
    Luck is the phenomena created when Preparation meets Opportunity .

Grand Pooba

Shooting standard Hornet ammo in a K Hornet is how you "fire form" the brass for the K. [quote author=noleveyor link=topic=476.msg4278#msg4278 date=1346293401]
    Can you still shoot standard 22 Hornet rounds in a rifle rechambered to K Hornet?
    [/quote]
    Train like your life depends on it, cause it does.

Freshman

My K-hornet shoots factory hornet or reloaded hornet ammo extremely well. I would almost say it shoots hornet rounds the same as it did before the reaming. You do loose a few feet of velocity due to case "fire-forming", but I have noticed no difference in accuracy. The k-hornets does shoot higher due to the increase in velocity so you can't expect the same zero out of both.

Benifits of the k-hornet: longer case life, more case capacity, and increased accuracy. I can now cloverleaf three shot groups, covering it with a dime at 100yards. Before the reaming I could only do about 1 inch or so at 100yards.

Accuracy comes because the k-hornet headspaces on the new shoulder instead of the rim of the case.

As for fireforming, if I don't shoot factory ammo I just buy the cheapest components I can find to load hornet rounds. I have heard of people packing grits over powder instead of a bullet to fireform but I wouldn't trust it.